Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

use of unleaded fuel in a classic stang

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: use of unleaded fuel in a classic stang

Lead was used mainly as a cheap way to raise the octane rating of gas. However, it did have a cushioning effect on the valve seats. I use regular 87 octane gas in my 2V 289 with no ping at all, even under load. You just have to tweak the timing. I do, however, use Redline brand lead substiture, but only two caps full per 10 gallons of gas. I have been using it for 10 years, and it has not gummed up my engine or any other part such as the carb.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:08 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

What happens when you dont have lead in a pre 75 engine, that is under a heavy load like pulling a trailer up a mountain, is the valves wear away the seats. The valves are harder than the seats in older engines. If you simply cruise around and dont put a load on it often you wont have a problem. I have a 455 with 1967 400 heads on it, they didnt ever have hardened seats installed. that engine ran on 110 with 11.3: compression. Mostly it was unleaded race gas and when I pulled the heads, the seats hadnt receded at all. It ran for 6 years of brakcet racing every weekend, and a few clansdestine early morning street races and some cruising.

If you are worried about it, when you freshen your engine just have them install hardened seats like the newer engines have.

I am building an engine to run on the E85, we are getting it up here next year. More compression is more efficient when running alky, so built right I could see in the high teens mpg with the car I am building and have around 500hp. have I mentioned that the project for the winter when its too cold to work on the cars is setting up a still to make ethanol? Also gonna start making bio diesel for the trucks.. hopefully I wont have to pay for fuel anymore..lol..
Old 10-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

What happens when you dont have lead in a pre 75 engine, that is under a heavy load like pulling a trailer up a mountain, is the valves wear away the seats. The valves are harder than the seats in older engines. If you simply cruise around and dont put a load on it often you wont have a problem. I have a 455 with 1967 400 heads on it, they didnt ever have hardened seats installed. that engine ran on 110 with 11.3: compression. Mostly it was unleaded race gas and when I pulled the heads, the seats hadnt receded at all. It ran for 6 years of brakcet racing every weekend, and a few clansdestine early morning street races and some cruising.

If you are worried about it, when you freshen your engine just have them install hardened seats like the newer engines have.

I am building an engine to run on the E85, we are getting it up here next year. More compression is more efficient when running alky, so built right I could see in the high teens mpg with the car I am building and have around 500hp. have I mentioned that the project for the winter when its too cold to work on the cars is setting up a still to make ethanol? Also gonna start making bio diesel for the trucks.. hopefully I wont have to pay for fuel anymore..lol..
Yeah, if you have a lot of fast food places near you, getting their old used frying grease will be a cheap way to make the bio diesel. My brother burns that stuff in his PSD. Stinks like hell, but runs good on it.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:15 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

yeah used vegtable oil after being filtered and some solvent white spirit i belive will run a pos diesel how legal it is you can find out but at like $0.30 a litre compared to $1.40 a litre!!! quote "He discovered that they have been doing this sort of thing in Germany for years - not simply because it is cheaper, but because of the environmentally beneficial effects of using sustainable fuels made from rape and sunflower seeds rather than fossil fuels. Over there it is a sizeable industry, supported by tax breaks; it is no coincidence that Mercedes and Volkswagen engines are the most cooking-oil tolerant on the market. Indeed Mercedes motors are so accommodating that they will, apparently, run on lard."http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0...878122,00.html
Old 10-27-2006, 04:23 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

yeah hot rod had an article a while back if u have back issues it gives info on how to mod the carb so it dumps the extra fuel. to bad we dont have e85 anywhere near me cause i definitely would put the closed chamber heads on my cleve thatd give me 13.6:1 compression

i remember that issue. we use e85 in our gas in texas
Old 10-27-2006, 05:46 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Its 100% legal to use old cooking oil as a fuel here in the USA. Yes it must be refined somewhat to get the best results, and I have a friend who lives nearby who hasnt bought fuel in two years. He makes about 18 gallons per day and has a few restaraunts in the area as the oil source.

Making Ethanol even for fuel requires federal permits, because it is the drinking type of alcohol but is used for fuel. I woudnt drink it even if you paid me. it takes roughly twice as much alky to make the same power as gasoline, but it has a much higher octane and knock tolerance, runs very much cooler, and burns cleaner than gas. An engine built specificly to run on ethanol will outlast, outperform and get almost as much mileage as a gasoline engine. you can make it from almost any plant source, even grass clippings and leaves, but you get the most from crops like corn and such. Naysayers will tell you that we dont have enough corn to use as fuel, but we can use plenty of other sources. Potatoes and other veggies that supermarkets throw out after a certain date would be a great example. yes it doesnt seem like much, but it adds up and why put it in a landfill?

Methane gas is another source we could burn rather than let escape into the atmosphere. If you have ever driven past a hogfarm or feedlot filled with cattle, you just pased a huge source of methane. It burns cleaner than most fuels do. Find a way to bottle farm animal and mother in law farts and become a billionare.

I am making the switch for my toys and the race car, partly because I can do it, partly to save some money, and mostly because its better for the environment. I want my kids to have a nice clean place to live, like it was when I was a kid.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:09 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Thumpin, I am a biochemical engineer so preaching to the converted and as we used to say brew it, distill it and then drink it. Also use can use all the homebrew equipment to make your brew, and then a nice distillation rig with reflux means nice alchol or you could just buy cheap everclear!!!!

Plus cut out the short journeys in the car get a bicycle i cycle ever most places and do recycle all bottles paper etc.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I remember when I was young and stupid and drank everclear. I puked for a week and can't even stand to smell it. The only reason corn squeazins' was illegal in the 30's is because no alcohol was legal, so the moonshiners brewed their own and sold it on the sly. Today, I see no reason why it can't be used in addition to other veggie products to make fuel. I guess some federal license has to be applied for so you don't wind up in the slammer, but hey, it is an alternate way to not have to depend on dino oil. Have any of you ever heard of "Mother Earth News" magazine? I really like the articles, and one a few years ago featured a complete house that was independent of any services from the city such as electricity, water, garbage, etc.
The garbage became gas, and windmill for both water and electricity. They even sold some of the electricity to the city.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:36 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

yeah there is a house about 8 miles from me that has a windmill, they dont use any electricity from the grid, and sometimes get a check from the utility co. been thinking about that for a few years now, would be better having electric heat in the shop than a woodstove, and being powered by the wind it would be perfect. I could have the shop warm and toasty all winter, and even have AC in the summer.. as if I need AC up here..lol.. its the $10k+ cost that keeps me from doing it.. maybe in a couple years.

As far as riding a bike, well the closest place to buy food is 15 miles, its 25 to where we usually shop, so a bike is kinda out. Additionally I cant ride a bike anymore, well at least not up the big hills on either side of my house because of my torn up knees. Before I got hurt in the USAF, I rode my mountainbike everywhere on base, unless I had to carry something large or really heavy. Just saved gas and got my exercise in at the same time. Only tie I wouldnt ride it is when I had to go off base for an appointment or the weather wasnt condusive to a bike. In korea it wasnt easy to ride on the ice and snow, only managed to fall once over there.. I miss my mountainbike, its sitting here forlornly on the porch. I can ride it little, but nothing like I used to.

I have become a hippy drag racer... lol... A tree hugger that loves to drive a 700hp street car.. I know.. my life is a paradox and oxymoron all wrapped up in one..
Old 10-27-2006, 07:02 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

No problem with that thumpin, i have as near as many bikes as you have cars......30 miles only an hour on the bike!!! coming back would be a pain. Regarding the cost can't you improvise a turbine? Living in the netherlands i am used to windmill, especially the big power ones they are impressive bit of kit.

Quick Reply: use of unleaded fuel in a classic stang