Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Some good news, but at a price.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 04:46 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

Default Some good news, but at a price.

Anyhow, I am gonna get my transmission rebuilt, get a B&M shift kit, have my shfting points heightened, and I am getting an RV cam by comp cams, I can't wait , there is gonna be a big difference. Along with the cam I am gonna get a new waterpump, and I am gonna get all new springs and lifters and such.

All this will set me back about......1,600 or so.

Then after this I gotta get a new stereo, speakers and deck that will be about 320, then I want to order a few goodies off mustangdepot.com, that will cost me like 210

So ya, my car will be complete in Nov

I thought I'd share with you guys what is in the future, anyone else have things that they are gonna be doing to their stangs soon?

I am pretty excited I am gonna be all done with it in Nov. , that will be a total of 9 months since I got the car.

Now I am like..hmmmmmm, what will go wrong after all this, then I thought well what could go wrong has gone wrong, so with that sad statement I got a little happier.

I'm just so excited about it, after all this I will have around 290 to 300 HP, I can't wait to experience the ride difference.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Some good news, but at a price.

My dad is actually looking to buy a Mustang like that. Good to see there are plenty of people willing to restore those beautiful classics.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:39 PM
rwcstang
2nd Gear Member

well as for me, im going to put my car back in the stable soon since the summer is almost over. umm im going to build and engine for kicks, im going to get a 351w and stroker to a 408 or 427 not sure yet im still deciding lol but yeh my car still has its 347 but i just wanna see how i build this engine lol but im not going to let the 347 go to waste im going to install it in my dads convert or maybe my moms mitsu van lol hrmmmmmmm decisions decisions lol and also since i cant find the edelbrock rims no more...im going to with the muscle toruqe thrust II or D or sum rims from boyd coddingtons not sure but prolly the size ive chosen would be 17x8 in tha back and 17x7 in tha front but yeh thats pretty much it.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:49 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

the Torque thrust's 2's are freakin sweet, I was gonna get them, but i like my rims right now.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:23 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

I just had new heads put on. No new horses, they are the same kind of heads. Now I working on my brakes. No big deal, just rebuilding them. I thinking about waxing it, Does that count?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:40 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

Not to throw a fly into the ointment but keep in mind that RV cams are generally
lower rpm cams that make alot of torque down low, but not much more HP up high. Also, they usually work best in heavy vehicles with larger displacement motors. You are having your tranny rebuilt with a shift kit that raises the shift points. Your RV cam may be out of steam before your tranny shifts. You might want to rethink the cam and go for something that will pull to about 5500 or 6 grand. Just a suggestion.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:42 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

I saw that about the RV cam. 69FECoupe is right. A 302 is a high rev motor and gets its power from rpms. A truck cam is not a hot rod cam. I got a mild street cam in mine that go up to about 5500 rpms. It works great. With a auto trans, you don't need a wild race cam.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:26 PM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

Wow, thanks for the news guys, well anyhow, 1st of all I am gonna get the kit put it, and my transmission rebuilt, and it is going to shift later as I said.

The guy at the cam shop said to go with an RV, but my Mustang, well you have to drive it to be able to really tell I guess. So I'm sure he can drive it, and then reccomend one that will get the job done. He is a trusted mechanic and my dad knows him and all, so he will give me the right set up.

But for now I'm just worrying about my transmission.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:25 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

What grind is it? I looked in the Comp Cams catalog and didn't see a small block RV cam.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:21 AM
SCRATCHY30
2nd Gear Member

I dunno man, I have just heard from several people that that is the one to get for most old mustangs.

But I dunno, maybe I should get it, but I'll have them drive my car, and reccomend it or not. I'll just let them know I am looking for something that has the power and that can increase torque, but doesn't over do it drag-style, but something you can notice a big dif with.

Quick Reply: Some good news, but at a price.