Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How reliable are our classics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: How reliable are our classics?

ive used my previous stangs for drivers never a problem except got the balancer that exploded on me once[:@] but it still ran and was an easy fix
Old 10-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aussie66Fastback

mine refuses to come out of the shed in the rain but, other than that, i'd drive it anywhere. Always ironing out the bugs on some part of it though
Hey, do you get a lot of stares driving a stang in Oz?
Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Galactusz

ORIGINAL: Aussie66Fastback

mine refuses to come out of the shed in the rain but, other than that, i'd drive it anywhere. Always ironing out the bugs on some part of it though
Hey, do you get a lot of stares driving a stang in Oz?
yeah...especially one that is still left hand drive (as we drive right hook here). Any male who doesnt play for the other team has a look unless they are under about 23. the younger guys are fully into nismo, dismo and kenwood stickers on their rice burners!!!

there are quite a few out here. they were real cheap 10-15 years ago, before a lot of people in the US realised the collectibility/ cool factor.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

my 67 hasn't quit on me yet, but she's a biotch when it's cold outside, you got to warm her up and then she's a happy camper again.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:55 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

If I have rebuild the engine, transmission, rear end, brakes, and have the cooling issues worked out so it will idle in 110F in a traffic jam all day, then yeah I will drive it anywhere. If I havent been inside it, I wont just hop in and drive it if its older.. and surely not if I just picked it up. you never know what some moron who owned it years ago has done to it.

The 70 GTO was driven in 2000, from Hastings Nebraska, to Charleston South Carolina with a 455 and an overdrive trans. It got 19-25mpg on the trip, and only one thing broke. A muffler hanger came lose in Kentucky so I wired it up and kept on drivin.. It was my daily driver there untill last august when I moved. Doesnt matter how old it is if its built right.

My 67 Cougar is going to be my driver/cruiser when its done this spring, it was my daily driver back in 84-86 and I put about 30,000 miles on it in 86. It only left me stranded away from home once, timing chain slipped at the parts store.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:09 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

I havent touched the motor in years for actual repairs, any work Ive done to mine has been for more HP or to improve handling.
-P.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

It is not often folks buy a car that is already 30 years old, then drive it another 10 and it is still ticking. Ol' Yeller has been from Texas to Maine and back, and to Kentucky and back several times as well as numerous other 300 + miles trips in those 10 years, plus is my main grocery getter, and it has never left me stranded. Along with that though, comes almost weekly maintenance of some kind. I have been through several starters, a carb and a brake job, but that is still a ton cheaper than owning a new car that you have to make payments on. It is simple to work on, and it has never been to a shop for any mechanical problems. They are built "Ford Tough."
Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 PM
rigwelder
2nd Gear Member

i drive this 69 atleast twice a week, going 50 to 100 miles each time. its been on several 4 to 5 hour 65 mph trips. as long as i treat it like a 37 year old car and keep a eye on it, it runs fine. all i can every remember giving me trouble was a loose battery cable. which took 5 minutes to fix.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I drive the 65 a good bit. I have a country house that is about 95 miles away from my city house so she gets a good but of miles on her and only left me stranded once. I had an alt belt break at night time with about 60 miles to go. So I had to have someone bring me a belt and I put it on at a gas station. Same thing could have happened in anycar.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:07 PM
kickn67

More reliable than most newer cars if you know how to troubleshoot alittle. They do require a bit more tinkering, but that is part of the joy of these wonderful machines.

Quick Reply: How reliable are our classics?