Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

An option for cheap paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:02 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: An option for cheap paint

i think a gallon of single stage in the back yard would be less trouble than painting and painting etc u could paint it by wetting the ground down and not get that much trash in it if u painted on a calm day
Old 11-01-2006, 04:18 PM
72rustang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65
i think a gallon of single stage in the back yard would be less trouble than painting and painting etc u could paint it by wetting the ground down and not get that much trash in it if u painted on a calm day
Yeah I was going to say that if you try this you might die from boredom from all of that wetsanding. It isn't physically taxing to do that kind of work but OMIGOD is it boring.

I used a gallon of single-stage acrylic enamel, sprayed in my garage on the perfect wind-free day... followed by a stupid amount of wetsanding to get rid of the orange peel. Turned out OK. On a bright sunny day the glossy paint certainly reveals some waves in the passenger's side quarter panel (you should have seen that panel before my attempt to fix it). But in more subdued light doesn't look too bad.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47054/2278883F842C4EC78CC3B4D5DAF1E643.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

considering I use the same paint from rattle cans, yeah this would work too. And it would be perfect for interior work. I have done steering columns that came out very glossy and smooth with rattle cans. The paint I have on my GTO has held up well, its rattle can yellow and you dont see most of the dents in it..lol. its the same paint in a bucket or gallon can, rather than a rattle can.

Something I would avoid is dark colors like black and very dark blue. Lighter colors hide body work better, yellow and white are the easiest to use.

Metallics wont work well like this. Use a solid color if you want to try this.metallics might work with a base under them, and enough clear on top to prevent them from being sanded. Getting them to lay down right and the metallic particles to align wold be he tough part. I might try it on my sleeper or the toy. Wont be this year, the Cougar will be getting a high quality two stage paint. i dont mind if it costs me $3000 in supplies to do it. its how i want to do that one. The rest of them... well this could work!
I have to use "rattle" cans to paint interiors?

You mean sprays?

Can't I use the same rolling method like the exterior?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Niteshade
1st Gear Member

I have used Tremclad for many things including recently on the bumper brackets and other small parts. It really hold up well on those type of parts so i don't see any reason why it wouldn't do the same it it could be applied on panels in an even manner. This is what this guy seems to have done.

The thinning makes sense because it is probably the thickest paint I have ever used. The rattle can stuff seems thinner and you can do a pretty good job. I once painted a white range hood in the kitchen black using Tremclad in a rattle can and the thing came out great.

Thanks for the great information.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:31 PM
drhink

Is Tremclad available in the US? Their website says it's "Canada's Number 1 Rust Paint", and has a link for US customers that is just Rust-Oleum stuff. Are there equivalent products in the US from Rust-Oleum? My experience with Rust-Oleum paint is it is VERY slow drying, so I doubt you could wet sand the "next morning".
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

hate to be a bugger, but most all of every question you guys are asking are in the original post that is linked in this thread. I just got done reading most of it (waaaaaay to long) but if you just read the stuff that the guy who did it wrote you will get answers to just about all your questions including what and where you can get the paint
Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Sticky or add to FAQ's???
Old 11-01-2006, 06:20 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

+1 that's a great idea, I can't wait to try it out when I get my own house.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

I'm going to test drive this painting method myself.

I have a stand alone hood in my backyard from an old truck, and will give it a go, let's see how good the results turn out.

Gotta get me some of that paint first.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

nah just sayin I used spray cans on interiors before. You could roll it on too, but rolling it ona steering column or some other strangely shaped part could be tough.

I'll find out if I can get the Rust Oleum up here, I figure it would work perfectly for the underhood of the cougar. Just a couple more days prepping it and its ready to go. Been thinking about the underside of the fenders too, satin black under the fenders and semi gloss under hood. no need for wet sanding under there.. Still not ready to paint the entire car like that though, not one I am wanting to look extra special being my first car and all..

Quick Reply: An option for cheap paint