Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

rebuilt engine wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 AM
onuliakattack

Default rebuilt engine wont start

Just finished putting my rebuilt 302 together and tried to fire her up today and it didnt sputter it just spit out gas from the carb. After that i checked the voltage at posotive terminal on the coil and theres 12 volts there and coming out of the coil but theres no spark coming out of the distributor. Another problem is that there is no fuel getting from the tank to the fuel pump. I have a clear fuel filter and its empty. any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:14 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: rebuilt engine wont start

u can take an air hose with a rag wrapped around it to loosly seal and pressurize the tank slightly while turning the motor over and it will go up to the carb, sure the dizzy isnt 180degs out? how are the points?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:24 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

+1 on the dizzy, when I replaced mine i put the damned thing in backwards took me a week to figure out what I did and felt like a total ***, but after reading a few things here and there found out I wasn't the only one to do it, still feel like a total ***
Old 11-02-2006, 08:45 PM
onuliakattack

well im sure i put the dizzy in right, i set the rotor right on the number 1 mark and had my #1 cylinder at TDC, but even if i did , im not getting any spark out of the distributor, but i am getting voltage from the coil and coil wire. could it be my points? im also not getting any gas flow from the tank to make things worse. i think i might try replacing the sending unit in the tank and try to unclog the fuel line if it may be.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

What kind of ignition do you have? You shouldn't be too far off on initial timing, but make sure you have a light handy to see just where you are when you do find fire. Double check all the wires, too. You never know what kind of little mistake you can make.

I'll assume you have a mechanical pump. Does it have gas coming out when you turn it over (disconnect it from the carb and use a container to catch any gas)? You can use air from the inlet side of the pump and blow towards the tank to verify you have a clear line.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:41 AM
onuliakattack

i just have stock ignition, i tried taking off one end of a plug wire and held it next to my support brace as i tried to start the car and there was no spark. but like i said there is 12volts coming out of the coil and coil wire. i also have a stock mechanical fuel pump and its brand new, but i have a clear fuel filter between the metal fuel line coming from the tank and the fuel pump, and its not filling up with gas. ill try blowing air through the lines tho.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:49 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Are you sure you put the fuel pump cam on before you buttoned up the timing cover? Did you use new points and condensor? As far as the spitting out of the carb, sounds like timing is off.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:34 AM
Volcom66
2nd Gear Member

yeah im with valley firearms maybe you forgot the f/p cam. if you have a flexable mirror take off the pump and look in for the cam. as for the dizzy im not good with points but i have had my carb do the same from mixed wires so check firing order and then once more! good luck
Old 11-07-2006, 02:27 AM
onuliakattack

yah im sure i put the fuel pump cam in , because my shop teacher kept telling me not to forget it and i rechecked the order of all the spark plug wires and tightened up all of my electrical connections, but im still not getting any spark at the spark plugs at all, i havnt replaced the points and condensor yet, could that be the problem? it worked perfect before the rebuild, started like a champ before. could the condensor and points go bad from just sitting there in my garage?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:32 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

If the points aren't adjusted properly, you won't get a spark. And, yes, a condensor can go bad while sitting. Double check the gap on the points...

Quick Reply: rebuilt engine wont start