Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

would you support a switch to metric?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:32 PM
68FastbackGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: would you support a switch to metric?

To heck with it. I’m moving to Cuba were all the cars have SAE bolts on them like they did in the 50s. Wait a second, all their cars are from the 50s.

By the way, I am a DSP engineer and I prefer our current system. Maybe I just think that I’m a thinking boy. Or am I a stinking boy. Good thing for you the internet does not support Sense-O-Rama yet.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:33 PM
robthedolphin
1st Gear Member

Didn't we make an agreement with the rest of the world about this? They all speak English and we use the metric system? I think it was because of the shipping lanes and had to do with the Panama Canal or something.....Anyway, it seems to me that switching to the metric system would be beneficial to a lot of american industries. I think it would make it easier to sell our products to someone overseas.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, most of the world is on the metric system. I don't mind either way, and have two sets of socket tools to deal with either. My old 65 has inches, but I have other metric tools to deal with the metrics.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:58 AM
stangimgood
2nd Gear Member

i prefer my husbands method...fill to the first line....its about and hour away.... yaaaa tall.....about to here on your finger.....hahahahaha
Old 11-04-2006, 11:26 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

I think it's a good idea... an lets face it, if we switched over, we would have this lively debate for about a generation... then it would die out...
Old 11-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

So metric is for those who can't think, the US system is for the smart folks!

ORIGINAL: ford65stang

its just damm easier !!!! damm the 13 doesnt fit too small ok 14..... Now we dont have to think
Old 11-04-2006, 04:38 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Well we should do time as well. Wouldnt it be much better if there were ten hours in a day? then divided up in tens down to milihours? And the calendar.. 365 days could be converterd to metric.. well it just doesnt covert into a simple divide by ten sort of thing now does it?
Whatever works. And its a generational thing, kids are learning metrics, cars are metric (some not as well thought out as others *cough* *chrysler* cough cough*)

When all the old people like Glen are gone, my generation will still understand both. The generation of my kids will know more metric than I do. People resist change the older they get. For instance, try getting a 70-80 year old person to get a cell phone, use a computer, or put everything into a blueberry. Most of them still have rotary phones in the house because its what they know and understand on an intimate level.

Sure change everything, but its not gonna happen overnight.. more like 100 years or so..
Old 11-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

[sm=exactly.gif]

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455
When all the old people like Glen are gone, my generation will still understand both. The generation of my kids will know more metric than I do. People resist change the older they get. For instance, try getting a 70-80 year old person to get a cell phone, use a computer, or put everything into a blueberry. Most of them still have rotary phones in the house because its what they know and understand on an intimate level.

Sure change everything, but its not gonna happen overnight.. more like 100 years or so..
Old 11-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

HEY! I resemble that remark! I have an updated computer, a cell phone, a color wide screen TV and an almost new Mustang Mach1. I also prefer military time. It just makes more sense to say 1800 hrs. when you are talking about 6:00 O'clock in the afternoon. That way there is never any confusion of whether you are talking about 6 AM or 6 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I just use a sundial....I don't like clocks. Sun up...sleep. Sun down...party. It's that easy.

ORIGINAL: Soaring

HEY! I resemble that remark! I have an updated computer, a cell phone, a color wide screen TV and an almost new Mustang Mach1. I also prefer military time. It just makes more sense to say 1800 hrs. when you are talking about 6:00 O'clock in the afternoon. That way there is never any confusion of whether you are talking about 6 AM or 6 PM.

Quick Reply: would you support a switch to metric?