Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 05:10 PM
ivanr77
2nd Gear Member

Default Power Steering Leak

Hey fellas,

I drive a 68 coupe, and my power steering has been leaking for about 2 weeks now. I checked things out myself, tightend anything loose, such as hoses and bolts, but that just slightly reduced the leak. Took my 68 to a Ford dealership several days ago and they confirmed the leak from the hoses as well as a leak from the "power steering 'assistant.'"
I have never heard of any power steering compenents being referred to as an "assistant" but my assumption is that the "assistant" is the Control Valve.

Ive been to several Mustang shops in my city and no one there has heard of an assistant or sells one. I believe that i have either misunderstood the technician at the dealership, or that we may have miscommunicated.

From what ive heard from people though, is that it is most likely the control valve that was referred to as an "assistant" by the technician. I dont know that much about suspension or steering, so if someone could help me out with some information as to whether im somewhat on the right track or whether im a complete idiot.
Thanks

--Ivan
Old 08-12-2004, 09:53 AM
68GEETEE
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Power Steering Leak

I think they are referring to the cylinder next to the control valve. I dont think the part is called an 'assistant', but I have refered to it as a power steering cylinder. In any case, I have replaced the entire p/s system on my '68 with NEW parts, and its leaking again. This type system was always bad for that.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Stl Wild

I just went through this myself, The dealership is talking about your power assist cylinder, it is the shock looking thing that has two hoses coming from it and it is connected to your center link.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:38 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

He's referring to the assist cylinder itself. Leaky power steering systems on clasic Mustangs are common headaches for all of us. The best way to stop it is to go all new cylinder/control valve(seals are made different these days) and use ATF in the system NOT PS fluid.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:25 PM
ivanr77
2nd Gear Member

I bought the Control valve, and some replacement hoses, but haven't installed them yet.
I went ahead and retightened everything, caught a hose that was extremly loose and tightened that mother up...car is in 'testing' phase right now, i haven't witnessed any leaks...but who knows, so maybe i dont need to buy a new PS system....ehh save $800...for a while at least.

Although i will keep everyones information handy, in case it does continue to leak, ill check out the cylinder and maybe have that replaced.

Thanks for the replies fellas.