Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

what size is to big (or to samll)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:49 PM
mlitz
2nd Gear Member

Default what size is to big (or to samll)

OK so this always bothered me and i still can figure it out if you are running a wheel size of 17" (lets say) and you want to stick the biggest baddest disk brake system in them how do you know it it is going to fit.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:52 PM
66 stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what size is to big (or to samll)

probably measure the inside of the rim, and measue the calipers, and see if it'll fit, and also check the specs from the wheels and calipers
Old 11-03-2006, 08:58 PM
mlitz
2nd Gear Member

well that is what i was thinking but if you have the wheels but not the brakes how are you going to measure the rotor with the caliper on it?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:34 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

you ask the manu politely.

"excuse me sir...will your disc brake kit clear my 17 inch rims"

FWIW - I have not seen a disc brake setup for a mustang yet that needs more than a 17 inch rim to clear
Old 11-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Gun Jam

The FORCE 10 Xstreme 4 piston caliper with 13" rotor is about as mean as you can get unless you got a race only setup with 6 piston calipers on 13" rotors but that’s for race only, as they only work well when hot.

17" wheels are required so I would say your set.

Gun
Old 11-04-2006, 12:31 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

ask the brake company that made them they will tell you or send you a temple you can print out
Old 11-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Any 13" kit for a Mustang is going to fit in 17" wheels. If you tried to put a 16" rotor kit for a truck on your car...well, that's just plain stupid.

Seriously though, the amount of force generated by a well bedded 13" rotor is going to put as much strain on your stock spindle as it can handle. With the 13" Cobra setup I'm running, my stopping distance is as low as 117' and high as 122' with stock pads. That is considered exceptional braking by any standards.
The other thing you want to consider with brakes is unsprung weight. The less unsprung weight the better. So you need to consider your application, and figure out if you even need to go with 13" rotors.
No matter what you do, there are always trade offs. In my experience, I have found it very important to figure realistic goals, tied to realistic usage. Then plan upgrades accordingly to get the best overall performance package.

Good luck,
Old 11-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Gun Jam

hey Scott a 117' at 60mph?

Gun
Old 11-04-2006, 03:17 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I did 3 stops, one on a smooth surface and braked at threshold (117'), two more on a rough surface attempting to stay at threshold, but ended up slowing the front right to less than road speed for the last 30', due to the crown and roughness (122' back to back).
I was very happy. My goal was 125'. I think there may be a bit more, as I'm conservative on the bias, until I get a chance to do some avoidance stops in the rain.
Now we will see if I can maintain that with the weight of the V8. Right now I'm at 3,110 lbs (less my fat butt). I am expecting to add about 225 lbs when the V8 goes in. I still think 125' is realistic, with shifting some weight to the rear, lowering the engine, and moving it back.
I'm not happy with the weight, My completed goal was 3,100 lbs (w/V8 and 6 point roll bar). So I've got to work on that.

BTW: the tires are Potenza REO750's 235/45 WR17. Very sticky! They are a big part of the high lateral G-force the car is capable of as well.
As a fellow canyon carver, you might check them out. I've driven on a few of the different Potenzas, and they have all been impressive tires (othe than the run flats which have etremely stiff sidewalls).

Scott
Old 11-04-2006, 04:06 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

you ask the manu politely.

"excuse me sir...will your disc brake kit clear my 17 inch rims"

FWIW - I have not seen a disc brake setup for a mustang yet that needs more than a 17 inch rim to clear

ssbc has a 14 inch kit for the vintage stangs says it need a 18inch wheel

Quick Reply: what size is to big (or to samll)