Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Questions, questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:23 PM
72351CJ
1st Gear Member

Default Questions, questions

1) Ok I just had my Magnum 500's from VM, mounted. They are 15x8's, I found out the spinner centercaps block 1 sometimes 2 lug nuts. I cant move the spinner as there are 2 bolts to hold it in place... Is there a way to fix this?

2) Next, I noticed that My bushings are pretty worn is there a good front end bushing kit to install, instead of rubber? If so which one.

3) Next 'Speakers' the hidden door speakers are 4x8 but these are not made anymore and you can get the 4x6 to replace, how are the replacement speakers for sound quality? Also The replacement dash speaker, sound quality?

4) When I depress my clutch I hear this squeak coming from under the dash, is it the spring? do I need to lube something? It only does it when you depress the clutch.

5) 'seats' the drivers seat leans back more than the passengers seat, normal? Knee still hits the steering wheel when I shift.

6) Anyone know a good decal installer in orlando fl, to install the ralley stripes?

Thank you in advance
Old 11-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Questions, questions

well i have one thing to say about bushing

ENERGY SUSPENSION!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

As far as the speakers go you can get "plates" that have a small four incher with a tweeter built in. They also make 4x6 spakers, also on a 4x8 plate. Same thing goes for the dash.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:17 PM
66 stang
2nd Gear Member

i dunno about 70s , but the first gen stangs seats are adjusted by this lil bolt in the bact that you can make longer or shorter, might wanna check that out.......

also, im sure the new speakers will be a lot better than anything thats 40 years old

i dunno about your wheel problems, good luck
Old 11-06-2006, 07:15 PM
edgars23
1st Gear Member

2. Energy suspension all the way. if not that specific brand, look for something similar.

4. Same happened to mine. A little WD40 got rid of it for me, some lulbe would be a better fix in my opinion.

Looks like you are getting a good start on it. Good luck and hopefully we can help out when you need it.
-Edgar
Old 11-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

1) Ok I just had my Magnum 500's from VM, mounted. They are 15x8's, I found out the spinner centercaps block 1 sometimes 2 lug nuts. I cant move the spinner as there are 2 bolts to hold it in place... Is there a way to fix this?

2) Next, I noticed that My bushings are pretty worn is there a good front end bushing kit to install, instead of rubber? If so which one. Grab-A-Trak polyeurethane bushings.

3) Next 'Speakers' the hidden door speakers are 4x8 but these are not made anymore and you can get the 4x6 to replace, how are the replacement speakers for sound quality? Also The replacement dash speaker, sound quality? get the dual cone dash speaker.

4) When I depress my clutch I hear this squeak coming from under the dash, is it the spring? do I need to lube something? It only does it when you depress the clutch. That is your throw-out bearing going south. Needs replacement.

5) 'seats' the drivers seat leans back more than the passengers seat, normal? Knee still hits the steering wheel when I shift. bolt on bottom of the back of the seat needs adjustment.

6) Anyone know a good decal installer in orlando fl, to install the ralley stripes?

Thank you in advance
Old 11-07-2006, 12:18 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

cant do much about the spinners other than dont have them on the car. Five holes, three bars, do the math. geometry says something is gonna be blocked. live with it or just put on something else.

I like energy suspension bushings too. Grab a track is good as well. Find polyeurethane and have them installed. It requires a press to do them. May as well do the ball joints, idler arm, drag link, tie rod ends, repack/replace wheelbearings, and have the front end aligned after the work is done. If you do some yourself you can save a bit, otherwise the guy doing the alignment will have to replace all taht stuff just to get it in spec.

you could upgrade your stereo with Pioneer, JBL, Klipsch, Alpine, Kenwood, Sony or another quality brand stereo. I have Kenwood, Sony, and Alpine systems in some of my cars. and a pioneer that came with a car..lol. there are custom sizes and configurations available soyoucan fit something in there. You dont want or need a boomin stereo do you? But a good sounding one can be built rather easily and without a huge outlay of cash. Just check into it and see whats out there. My Cougar will be ggetting a hidden Sony system with about 12 speakers stuffed around the car, but not layed out there so you can see them. It will look like a stock system in it. I dont need vintiage glass broken to get to a $200 radio, especially when the door is usually unlocked.

Look around under the dash. Push the pedal in and see if its something in the pedal. Lube if needed, otherwise Soaring has a good idea too. A throwout bearing can make some wierd noises. FYI they arent tough to replace, and you could do the clutch while you are in there..

See if the seat has the adjustment **** everyone mentioned.

just say no to vinyl. You dont own a honda civic...
Old 11-07-2006, 01:23 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i think hes reffering to the mach 1 stripes? idk about in orlando but don barrys mustangs is in jaxsonville fl
Old 11-27-2006, 02:38 PM
72351CJ
1st Gear Member

Thanks again for your assistance
Old 11-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

On the Mag 500 question.....Are the spinners center caps that push out from the back? My 500's don't have spinners, but center caps with the pony on them instead, so there is no problem with the lug nuts. If that is the case, then get 4 new center caps that aren't spinners.

Quick Reply: Questions, questions