Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Paint Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 04:55 PM
MC
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Paint Ideas

+1 if you go black keep it (no cowl) I think color plays a big part on different parts.I think cowls look better on bright color cars, Ram looks better on dark esp Matte. Call me weird but i think that makes cents
ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: moparmatt89

hey, thanks for all the replies, i do really like the black and think i will probably stick with it, i still have a lot of the black left over anyway. Hey soaring, i know the hood looks like crap in that pic, and that is becasue it was taken over the summer when the old hinges were still in.
What do you all think of cowl hoods, nothing crazy just one with a little cowl, or do you think it is to much like a chevy?
Matt
I think cowl hoods look better on Fox bodies than on Classics. Consider a Ram Air hood, or even one like this one. Actually the hood you already have looks good to me.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I'm not into restomods, but to me this hood looks like it belongs on the car.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:39 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i like that hood also
Old 11-10-2006, 07:45 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

A cowl hood on a car that doesnt need it is kinda silly. Like a Fox with an injected 5.0 and a 6" cowl.. just goofy and uneeded. Kinda like ricer thinkin IMHO. The Scoop that Rmodel has is different, its more of a styling thing than a cowl and it looks the part on an early stang. I am fond of factory scoops like the GTO, Formula, TA, BOSS, Eliminator, and some of the mopar scoops, like the 6 pack. But to me a Flat hood with a nasty engine is much more preferable to a huge scoop on a stock engine..A cowl is more for a car that wants a low profile hood to cover a tall intake or possibly a blower. Having a huge cowl with the carb far below the hoodline is just silly.. Use one if you need one.

Just my opinions.. FYI I only have one car that really NEEDS a cowl hood, and I am thinking of going to a Trans Am shaker on it instead. It would be a shaker that is 6" above the hood, but it still wouldnt be a chevy style cowl.. it has a cowl right now. I still like scoops.. these three of mine have them..

[IMG]local://upfiles/14646/BDEAAEFC57A44027BE62A74D58677A93.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-10-2006, 07:46 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

notice how sinister the flat black one in the middle looks. It just says "DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT" doesnt it?
Old 11-10-2006, 08:26 PM
moparmatt89
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I expected those reaction from the cowl hood question and to be honest i would much rather spend my money on something that is benefitial for the car anyway, being 17 and working at a grocery store doesnt exactly bring in that kind of money. Hey thumpin455 what kind of black paint did you use, was it a black primer that you put a matte clear coat on, cause i think it looks sweet just how i want mine to look. What kind of paint do they use on the boss hoods and mopars hoods that give it the matte black look?
Matt
Old 11-10-2006, 08:35 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

check with dupont for there flat clear and just get some regular black and spray it in the yeard the trash wont show since its flat just wet the ground down
Old 11-10-2006, 08:45 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

It was a satin black enamel. Painted by the previous owner. I had the GTO that is yellow in that pic flat black for a long time. used rattle cans and it wears off pretty fast. We even painted it once with chassis black in a detail shop and that didnt last long either. That Formula has had that paint for something like 4 years now and it looks good.. its not stayin on there, since that is a VERY rare car, 1 of 276 with that engine that year, 1 of 6 with automatic trans and AC.. its gettin a full resto soon.

You can spray the flat or satin pretty much anywhere its legal or you wont get caught. Implement paint is like that tremclad stuff as far as durability. thats what I am using under the hood of the 67 Cougar, mine is semi gloss, but you can get it satin or flat. I prefer satin to flat.. just me..
Old 11-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

notice how sinister the flat black one in the middle looks. It just says "DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT" doesnt it?
Yep, If I pulled up next to that ****, I would not even think about revving Ol' Yeller, I would just let you drive away unmolested. But if you drive up next to me while I am in big Red, then I may give you a nod.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:51 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Yep, If I pulled up next to that ****, I would not even think about revving. I would just let you drive away unmolested.

that would be a good idea.. it runs high 12s on street tires..

Quick Reply: Paint Ideas