Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rebuilding a 289 Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:14 PM
quinchem
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Rebuilding a 289 Q's

If I'm going to do the conversion to disk, do I still need to get the spindles from him? Wouldn't the disk brake setup use different spindles? (Does the disk brake use the same spindle as the drum?..or am I thinking of something different??). I'd rather buy new stuff if it's worth it...like I said that 66 was HURTING. How complete was the kit you used? Thanx
Old 11-13-2006, 11:23 PM
quinchem
1st Gear Member

Does that include the vacuum booster? Can I use my master cylinder? PO put a new one on! What made it so much nicer with the ARP kit?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:26 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

The SSBC kit uses stock V8 spindles, the granada swap uses granada spindles. As you can see it all depends on what kit you get. The SSBC kit I got came with the backing places disc mounts calibers pads hoses rotors duel master cylinder proptioning valve and new brake lines at the MC.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:15 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

info on disc swap.

from the FAQ..

http://www.geocities.com/a65ragtop/V.../i6_to_v8.html
http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/127_0412_veig/
http://www.granadaswap.com/guide/Introduction.htm
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/The_Gra...9.3006.v01.pdf
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/D...6/granada.html
Old 11-14-2006, 04:59 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

I really think you should put down the wrenches and develop a plan. What do you want the car to be when you're finished? Nice driver? Corner Carver? Drag machine? Power puff show car?

Once you pick a path you can get more realistic answers. For example forged pistons would be a waste on a dailey driver, you really need to be using power adders before the expence of forged pistons pays off. If you're going for a lot of power, stock heads will not get you there, you'll need something from the aftermarket. If you're going to follow this path, why spend money upgrading or even refurbishing the stock heads. This type of thinking should go into everything from the air filter to the oil pan.

Once you pick a path there will be other implications on the parts you should select for everything from the radiator to the rear end. I do not have enough money or time to do everything I want to do, much less redoing things that should be done differently at the start.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:28 PM
quinchem
1st Gear Member

You make a good point. I have thought about it. It will be driven quite a bit especially on nice days, but I want it with some snot too!! I'm not going for MUSCLE, but want power. I'm going to go with a middle of hte road rebuild kit. I've seen a few for about $250-275, but looking to the people who have been there to help me get the right stuff. As far as putting down the wrench...I haven't picked one up yet! So far I got the car, got a 289 and put it on a stand, that's it. I'm going to tear it (the motor) down soon and by then I'd like to have an idea of which kit to get. I'm in no hurry to get it done, just a hurry to get educated.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:08 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Hehe.. I dont really have a plan for the 71 anymore.. Things have changed..lol.

FYI dont go with a super cheap kit. Get a good one after you find out what undersize bearing you need and overbore on the pistons. Dont be afraid to pay $400 for the parts, you pay for quality. Do you want something that breaks a piston after two years, or starts smoking and losing power? Built enough of them to know.

But you do need to figure out if you want a daily driver, a corner carver (they work good for DDs), or what.. So far the 71 is goin sorta corner carver, sorta daily driver, sorta drag car. Combining elements of each into it in a way that they compliment each other rather than trying to do one thing great or everything so so.. more corner carver than anything really. I want it to drive and handle like some of my Trans AMs do..

What do you want your car to do? Think about it for a while...
Old 11-16-2006, 04:43 PM
quinchem
1st Gear Member

The middle of the road rebuild kit was $250-275...the cheap ones were $125-150!! Is there any one kit you recommend? I want the daily driver/corner carver. A stock motor with a few upgrades will suffice. I was going to go with the forged pistons, moly rings, new cam, and have new valves installed. (Then maybe do a 4barrel with headers but that it...nothing MAJOR) This is based on what has been told to me from a variety of people. I'm a backyard mechanic...I'll do your brakes or light stuff, and I know VWs. I built my Harley too, but I'm completely new to the V8world and bigger cars...this is what's exciting me about this!! I'm not a know it all and do appreciate talking to people like you who know from experience. It does get hard to sort through all the different advice too though! some say this way, others that way...I'm not knowledgeable enought to know the difference.
I'm converting to disk too. I was just looking at the granda kit from "classic services restoration parts". Any comment on them?? don't know the price yet on that. I also saw this on ebay...What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DME:B:AAQ:US:1
Old 11-16-2006, 05:18 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I traded some 4V Cleveland exhaust manifolds for granada spindles and a manual steering box to put on the 71.. Thats how i do stuff on the cheap. Find someone who has it and doesnt need it, then give them something I dont need that they need.. lol.. yeah been doin this for almost 30 years now.. its a sickness I think