Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

electrical probs..... need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 04:23 PM
64.5289Jay

Default RE: electrical probs..... need help!!!

thanks for the help so far guys.... i actually just got done probing everything with the test light, and i have no power anywhere..... i know i had a good ground for the test light so i know for sure now that there is no power to the sockets, or the turn signal switch in the column... there is power to the horn switch in the column, but that still doesn't work either...

i replaced the headlight dimmer switch and that works now, but that hasn't cleared up any of the other problems..... my hi beam indicator in the cluster works, but still no turn signal indicator.... i replaced the one flasher under the dash, but that didn't do anyhting but make back hurt cuz i took me at least 20 minutes just to find it, ha .... i seem to remember someone saying there was two flashers under the dash, but i can only find one... ...... thanks again for the help so far...
Old 08-23-2004, 01:20 AM
64.5289Jay

alright, i spent a few more hours messin with it and i found a short near the fuse box... i took care of that and now i have turn signals front and back so that problem is fixed... thanks again for the help guys..

still have no dash lights or horn ...... the only light that works in my dash is the hi beam indicator....

they only way that i know that the front turn signals work is from using the test light... the bulb sockets are so messed up that i can't get a bulb back in them, so i guess i need a new marker/parking light set up....... anyone know exactly where the socket plug is found?... i took the headlight bezels out trying to find the plug and i can't see them from underneath the car......

should those same amber lights light up as marker/parking lights?... if so, they only work during signaling, so i guess that is a problem too

thanks again guys, your help has got me this much closer to streeting this car....
Old 08-24-2004, 12:13 AM
68GEETEE
2nd Gear Member

this is a stretch, but try tapping on the horn itself to loosen dirt that has been trapped over the years. Then press the horn button to see if it made any difference.

No dash lights could be the fault of your headlight switch. But it could be a short also, like you found with the signal lights.

the side amber marker lights do not double as signal lights, the front lower valance bulbs are the signal lights. Sounds like you have made some good progress lately, keep us posted.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:41 AM
chelle51501965

Turn the **** on your headlight **** on the dash. This makes mine (dashlights) dimmer and brighter. I must have bitched for a month before I found that one.
And that is my 2cents.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:28 AM
64.5289Jay

i've turned the headlight switch a million times, and the only thing that it does is put the courtesy light sunder the dash on and off.... i guess it could be bulbs in the cluster so i'll check there next....

"the side amber marker lights do not double as signal lights, the front lower valance bulbs are the signal lights. Sounds like you have made some good progress lately, keep us posted"

^^^^ i have no side amber lights at all, hell, i don't even have back up lights on the rear of the car..... the only lights on the front of the car are the headlights, and the amber lower valance lights that i have been having problems with..... my questions is, do those amber valance mights double as marker lights, or are they just for turn signaling??... thanks again for all your help...
Old 08-24-2004, 05:57 PM
302240Z
1st Gear Member

Here's an easy fix for corroded terminals. Owning quite a few Z cars, which are notoriuse for corroded terminals, I came across a product called DeOxit. It can be found on line thru google search. A small can of this stuff will last you a lifetime. Just spray it on the terminals, plug and unplug them a few times and they work fine. I use it on all my terminals. It hasn't let me down yet.

Also, make sure your body to ground wires are clean. Unbolt them, take a wire brush to them. Hit it with some DeOxit and reattach the wires. You will sleep better knowing all your connections are good and clean.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:02 AM
68GEETEE
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 64.5289Jay

i've turned the headlight switch a million times, and the only thing that it does is put the courtesy light sunder the dash on and off.... i guess it could be bulbs in the cluster so i'll check there next....

"the side amber marker lights do not double as signal lights, the front lower valance bulbs are the signal lights. Sounds like you have made some good progress lately, keep us posted"

^^^^ i have no side amber lights at all, hell, i don't even have back up lights on the rear of the car..... the only lights on the front of the car are the headlights, and the amber lower valance lights that i have been having problems with..... my questions is, do those amber valance mights double as marker lights, or are they just for turn signaling??... thanks again for all your help...
OOOPS, I forgot they didnt have side markers till 1968. Sorry about that. . Your lower front valance bulbs are indeed signal lights.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:40 AM
64.5289Jay

well here's the deal.... after a new set of repro turn signals, a new flasher, 4 fuses and a six pack, i got turn signals that work now... and a half a buzz goin

just gotta straighten out the horn, and dash lights and its all set..... thanks again for all the help guys, i owe ya's a beer
Old 09-01-2004, 02:28 AM
64.5289Jay

<<<<<< STATUS UPDATE >>>>>>>

car is inspected, registered, and sitting in front of my house right now, LEGALLY..... yeah, i'm surprised too..... actually made a 45 mile roundtrip to my dad's place tonight which is the longest ride in 19 years for the car.... last inspection was in 85.....

ran smooth, handled nice...... very fulfilling after the time spent on it, but there is much more to do...... thanks for all your help guys

plans for winter include a fresh 289 and a tranny swap to 4 speed, (just picked up the 4 spd, bell, spacer and pedal setup today)

anybody need a working C4???..... i doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.... if no one wants it, i think i'm gonna see how far i can throw it, haha...
Old 09-01-2004, 11:20 PM
68GEETEE
2nd Gear Member

Glad you got the bugs worked out!