Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

a little bit of help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:33 PM
supervillainsf

Default a little bit of help

I have run into a problem and I am a bit confused. I have a 68 with a straight 6 and 3spd manual. I am assuming I damanged my head since there is oil weeping from the no. 1 plug hole. I had originally planned on putting in a 289 anyway, but after reading a bunch of the postings here decided maybe it would be too much of a PITA. However, the car has had 5 lugs front and rear on it since i bought it. I looked at the door sticker and my understanding of it says is that it has always been a 6cyl, but the door sticker is on top of new paint. I guess my questions are as follows:

a) is the 3spd manual different for the 6 vs 8?

b) If I already have 5 lugs on the car, does that indicate that either a conversion was started or the car had an 8 in it orginally or does it really not mean anythying?

c) and lastly, if the answers to the above indicate that the car should stay a 6, is there a good place to find an affordable (used?) head. I have looked around and it seems that the straight 6 head is in short supply.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

Default RE: a little bit of help

[quote]ORIGINAL: supervillainsf

I have run into a problem and I am a bit confused. I have a 68 with a straight 6 and 3spd manual. I am assuming I damanged my head since there is oil weeping from the no. 1 plug hole. I had originally planned on putting in a 289 anyway, but after reading a bunch of the postings here decided maybe it would be too much of a PITA. However, the car has had 5 lugs front and rear on it since i bought it. I looked at the door sticker and my understanding of it says is that it has always been a 6cyl, but the door sticker is on top of new paint. I guess my questions are as follows:

a) is the 3spd manual different for the 6 vs 8?they are different

b) If I already have 5 lugs on the car, does that indicate that either a conversion was started or the car had an 8 in it orginally or does it really not mean anythying?conversion at least started

c) and lastly, if the answers to the above indicate that the car should stay a 6, is there a good place to find an affordable (used?) head. I have looked around and it seems that the straight 6 head is in short supply.

Thanks in advance for your hel
Old 11-15-2006, 12:50 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

its a used car who knows whats been done to it finding a head might be fun try ebay maybe or pullaspart id use it as a reason to swap in a small block with a c4 or aod or a t5 if you like a stick
Old 11-15-2006, 04:59 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

somebody on this site may be able to help u http://www.fordsix.com