Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Pulling engine help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:13 PM
secondmustanger

Default Pulling engine help

Found a local company that builds racing engines that is willing to rebuild my 66's 289 wooooooo hooooooo. Only problem is he will only rebuild if I bring him the engine. I've helped pull engines in the past and know it's not that difficult but since I don't have a garage to do it in I'm at a loss. I've seen lots of cars with engines pulled with A frames over them at folks places but not sure if this is the way to go or would it be easier to use the boom on my 52 8n tractor to lift the engine out if I go with pulling it outside.
Anyone ever pull and engine from a stange outside? How did it go was it a real pain? Would it be worth my looking for someone with a garage to simply pull and install the rebuilt engine?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 01:02 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Pulling engine help

I don't think the issue is indoors or outdoors, but do you have the proper equipment. The boom idea will work. I have swapped motors using a come along looped over a tree limb, using the boom of a tow truck, and over a beam in my garage (boy did the cracking sound make me nervous). You could also rent a hoist. You will also need to think about transportation. How are you getting it to the machine shop. Prob need to get some type of dolly. I have seen peopl use the lower portion of a shopping cart effectively. the just removed the basket and the engine sits in the frame and wala, your mobile.

I think your best bet is the boom on the tractor though. This way you can easily go forward and back.
Good luck.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, the boom on the tractor will work. If you don't have a pickup to haul it to the builder, just rent one from U-Haul.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:11 PM
secondmustanger

Coda Transportation won't be a problem I can load it on my 10 ft flat bed trailer secure it with tie downs and take it in and back. I just wasn't sure if rolling the car from under the car port would be a good idea or not (not enough head room for the boom to lift). I could roll it back under the port to keep it dry (yep cowl leak do problem with the cover on though)

Thanks for the info
Old 11-15-2006, 02:11 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

boom on the rear of the tractor or the front? If off the rear that 8N will lift the front end when you try to yank the engine. I would hate to see you mess up the front of your car with it. You would need a like amount of weight infront of the front wheels to lift an engine. Just out of curiosity, is it a wide or narrow front..lol..

I have pulled a great many engines in an austere environment. Concrete is a plus, do you have any around there? Since you have a tractor I figure you dont really live in town. Also assuming there is no loader or bucket attachment on the front, they work okay if you have two or three people there with you. You can rent an engine hoist pretty cheaply and you could pull it yourself. Imagine having the boom on the tractor, you lift and there is something still attached.. and you rip it off the car... I prefer to go slowly and make sure everything is disconnected.

grew up on a Nebraska farm, so been there done that..
Old 11-15-2006, 02:28 PM
secondmustanger

Yeah thumpin not near town and no concrete why I thought of the tractor but didn't think about the boom on the back though. I could rent an engine hoist cheap but wouldn't be hard to roll out and then back in even in I laid plywood down? No large trees around to hook the chain hoist too. Too bad the old barn collapsed in an ice storm a few years ago it's floor was hard as concrete.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:29 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

When I was 8 my dad built a pos engine hoist out of stuff he had layin around so he could rebuild the 390 in the 75 F350. I ended up using it for a bunch of the engine swaps I did in my teens. the casters he used were crap, so it was a real pain to move even on concrete. So what I did was use it to lift the engine, then I pushed the car back. then either set the engine on the floor and took it apart so I could carry it, like a bare block, a crank, heads etc.. or put it in the back of a truck.

A couple friends of mine also worked on Mustangs, and we would sometimes pull a shortblock 289/302 by hand. remove the heads, drain the oil, take everything of it like the balancer and such. Thread some bolts into the block so you can lift it, and two guys can often pull them. i wouldnt try it with a 130lb skinny kid or most guys wives, but find some high school wrestlers and youre in business.lol.. me and my friends arent tiny, skinny or small..lol.. but the shortblock is still relatively light.

if you try it,, dont hurt yourself and never get under the engine.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:04 PM
secondmustanger

Don't plan on doing anything stupid like gettin under the engine. I want to get this out with out hurtin myself or the pony. She's in pretty good shape just a couple of rust spots. I'm planning on getting the engine fixed then will come BW and paint as the roof is starting to spider and the cracks are starting to show some faint rust. If it looks like I don't have a chance of pulling it I can try and find someone who I can take it to and have them pull it. It runs just has a rear main bearing acting grumpy so I want to get this fixed b4 it lets go.