Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

i am stumped

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:31 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default i am stumped

Once again guys, im asking for advice about my frame/alignment problem. I installed the engine crossmember finally and thought the wheels were going to stay straight. Took it for a drive( it did feel better) and came back home. The wheels are out again at the bottom and in at the top... like an A. AFter two alignments, and a new engine cross member, im really close to selling this damn car. The ball joints are new, new lower control arm bushings. etc. I have done the shelby drop, and the car hasn't been right since. Im seriously compleplating putting the upper control arms back to the original location. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:54 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: i am stumped

On 67/68 there is a pinch weld that breaks where the frame and the shock tower meet. This break is not easly seen but the symptoms are after an aligment you come back home and its off agin.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

the problem is, mine is a 66. Actually, the wheels are better then they were. Im still thinking about moving the control arms back to the original location, because i've really haven't felt a difference in handling.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:22 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

something has to be moving around. Either the top or bottom of the shocktowers is moving around on you, camber doesnt just change, right? Have you tried a Monte Carlo bar? If you have one already and things are still moving around, then its at the bottom part of the shock tower.

Really it wouldnt take much to pull the upper control arm out, after cleaning the area on both sides really well (like at a carwash or pressure washer) and put a light next to the engine and see if there are any cracks.

if you find cracks, then you can either do the entire apron/tower swap thing, because your year is available, or weld in some reinforcement plates sorta like the later big block cars had.

Check the lower control arm bolts too. If that thing isnt tight it could turn and throw off the entire front end.

you might end up with a ground up job like one of mine.. if you decide that everything needs to be clean all the time..lol.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

I thought the shelby mod was more for correct wheel positioning when you lower the car and helps with bumpsteeer..
Old 11-16-2006, 09:34 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

The Shelby drop lowers the cars upper control arm, and is supposed to give better camber through cornering. Im going to drive it tomorrow and see how it acts. IF it acts up, im moving the control arm back up, and getting an alignment somewhere else. The place im getting one at, doesn't do it very throughly.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 PM
sweet 65
1st Gear Member

ehh.... just replace it with the heidts mII setup, then there would be no problems with alignment anyways.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:17 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

What alignment specs did they put on the car?

Old 11-17-2006, 12:40 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Like i said, they dont know what they're doing. He actually told me, that since the car is so old, they dont use specs.... i told him i had specs for him.... Anyway, i will try one more alignment at a place that only does alignments on old cars.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

Pull the wheel and see if the shims are still there. If they did not crank down the upper control arm enough you may have lost your shims which would throw off alignment.

Quick Reply: i am stumped