Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

where to start on restore

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 04:07 PM
stovepipe

Default RE: where to start on restore

ok this is what i plan on doing. rebuild the engine and have it repainted. chrome package on it. new evrything outside the engine alt radiator so on. paint engine dept. rebuild trans if needed. new brakes all around and brake lines if needed. new front floor pans. all new intirior. new bumpers and chrome trim door handles and so on. and have the body work done and painted. new crager wheels and tires. and maybe magna flow exaust. thats what i am planning on doing so far and im sure there will be a lot more along the way.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:13 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Same thing happening here... Are you going to this extreme with yours? or keeping it driveable while reworking it?

[IMG]local://upfiles/14646/A99DADB798F44B0ABD0CC8CCBC19515E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14646/A04E1904F36B41598E39C45309FE298C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-18-2006, 09:17 PM
stovepipe

we wont be driving this until it is complete so it will be coming apart !!!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 09:50 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

go with Thumpin's #3 choice - it is a ground up build and then you won't have to worry about it
Old 11-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LCC

I would start with the motor. Change the oil and gas, check all the fluids then try to start it. If you can get it running then spend money on the rest. No motor then sit down and start doing a buget plan with a piority list. Good luck, and dont give up.[sm=roll.gif]

+1 here.

Do the basics. The best part of having one of these cars is driving it. If the motor will bust off and you can get the brakes in working order, you can drive the car while you start your resto work.

After you get it running and road worthy, I'd start as the rest have said on the suspension and brakes, working my way to the interior.

Good luck and post some pics when you can.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:00 AM
stovepipe

[quote]ORIGINAL: Bulldog66

Do the basics. The best part of having one of these cars is driving it. If the motor will bust off and you can get the brakes in working order, you can drive the car while you start your resto work.

that sounds like a good idea.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:58 AM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bulldog66

I would start with the motor. Change the oil and gas, check all the fluids then try to start it. If you can get it running then spend money on the rest. No motor then sit down and start doing a buget plan with a piority list. Good luck, and dont give up.[sm=roll.gif]

+1 here.

After you get it running and road worthy, I'd start as the rest have said on the suspension and brakes, working my way to the interior.

Good luck and post some pics when you can.
I agree with Bulldog that you can lose interest before you finish doing a full ground up resto. Having a safe, running car even if it isn't pretty is better than having a pile of parts in the garage IMO. The only thing I would add to Bulldog's response is that getting the suspension and brakes in good working order is part of getting it road worthy. If the engine runs, and this is going to be a long term resto (no access to unlimited piles of cash), I would just do a bit here and there, while driving it. As long as your staying with a 200 engine, the good thing is you'll have plenty of room in the engine compartment to work around the engine including cleaning it pretty well. Try doing that with a 289 with all the accessories.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:56 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

My steps:
1 define the objective - nice car to drive on pretty days? Daily driver? Resto mod with gobs of power? What do YOU and the WIFE want to do with the car????
2. inventorty - what works and what needs to be replaced or restored. The most imprortant factor to consider is RUST. There is a good chance, something similar to the chance that the sun will come up tomorrow, that your rusty floors are due to the dreaded cowl rust!!!! Join a mustang club and have some nice sucker review the car with you.
3. plan - list of all things that need to be done and estimate a budget. You should then probably plan on spending two times the budget.
4. develop a priority for the plan - safety and reliability are the most improtant items. Replacing chrome is at the end of what you will find to be a very long list!!!

I think the idea of a rolling restoration is best for new Mustang owners. Having a large pile of rusty parts in the garage is poor motivation.

Good luck and enjoy - it's a hobby!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 02:28 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Whats worse than havin a pile of parts and a gutted shell in the garage? Two gutted shells and a huge pile of parts.. if you ask how I know you will get a bunch of pictures of said piles and shells...

fwiw, its good to check the cowls, but a rusted floor doesnt always mean the cowls are done. The cowl is perfect in the 67 but both front pans are rusted through. It is probably the exception.. but the cowl repair is the biggest job short of swapping a frame rail.