Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

No Konis for my Pony

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Default No Konis for my Pony

After consulting with a Mustang guru I have decided NOT to go with the Konis. And it's not about the money.

Unless the application calls for it (racing, etc), the Knois are way too stiff (according toi him) for street driving. They require strut tower and undrebody reinforcement or they can shake apart the car. I did NOT know this.

Anybody have any first hand experience with these shocks?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: No Konis for my Pony

Koni's can be tuned to be less harsh than KYB Gas-a-justs which are a very popular shock for Mustangs. I worked on a Mustang years ago with Koni's. Don't remember thinking it was too harsh.
Paddy just put them on his car, might drop him a PM.

Good luck,
Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 AM
2bav8
2nd Gear Member

Wow, someone said Konis are stiffer than KYBs?
That's a first for me!!!

Like Scott said, the Konis are adjustable. On their softest setting they are much, much softer than KYBs.
While I haven't tried my Konis on the stiffest setting I would imagine they are stiffer than the KYB.

Nothing wrong with KYBs, I ran them for over 10 years on my car.
I do prefer the Konis I have on it now, but for the average street driver the extra price increase is definitely sharp.

All depends on what your needs are and budget IMO.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:37 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

dont forget the harshness of ride is also affected by your springs.

the Konis have a lot of adjustment on both bump and rebound. We just did two tarmac rally events with them, but in combination with 950lb springs. the first event was smooth road. we had the rebound set at about halfway and they were great. the second event had much more rough roads with small crests and other obstacles. for the first 2 stages the beast spent more time in the air than on the ground. it was terrifying! We took out almost all the rebound that night and it was brilliant after that. I'd love a set on my mustang
Old 11-22-2006, 04:01 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

As Scott said I am in the process of fitting koni's to my pony. I believe what your stang guru could be true on the hardest setting, but remember shelby used them, and if my memory is corrected he did not upgrade the suspension from a standard GT other than the koni's and the drop. I went with koni as I believe them to be the best shock out there and the price difference between them and the KYB's for me in the Netherlands is smaller than in the states, koni are made in the Netherlands. I have noticed a big difference in drivability and braking when I put the front ones on compared with the monroe-matics and am in the middle of rear installation, need to cut through the old shock bolt as the thread is messed up and the nut is seized. I am used to a much hard shocks as well as I have always driven european cars, even my little citroen 995cc which had soft french suspension had a harder ride. I would have a hard time justify the extra cash for the koni if I wanted a sunday cruiser and i lived in the states, but if you plan on racing or want a corner carver go koni's if not go kyb way as loads of people i like them on this board and save the money for some other upgrade