Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Realistic Fuel Consumption figures

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 04:45 PM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

Default Realistic Fuel Consumption figures

Please post some realistic Fuel consumption figures when driving the V8 mustang normally. 65-66 unmodified models would be most relevant. Also if you can suggest any devices that actually reduce fuel consumption that would be great too

Trying to work out how many times to mortgage my house you see....
Old 11-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Realistic Fuel Consumption figures

If you are worried about high gas consumption on a Stang, you should get a little economy 4-cylinder Euro car instead.

Old 11-23-2006, 06:11 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

a stock 289 will probably get 20 on the open road and 15-16 around town

a free way to increase power,reduce engine temps, and make the car run smoother is to advance the base timing but you will have to use premium fuel,but the increase in mileage will more than compensate for it.

the best way to increse fuel economy is to take advantage of modern fuel injection from a newer 302 motor and also the overdrive transmissions the transmission will make it more peppy around town fromt the improved gear sets and siginifacantly reduce the rpm u turn will cruising for example my 91 gt mustang goes 80mph at 2000rpm it has a t5 tranny,2.73:1 rear end gears i average approx 28mpg from this setup on the road
Old 11-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I get from 18-20 on the freeway going 70 MPH. Around 13-15 in town. And, I use 87 octane. If you stay out of the carb, the 4 barrel carb will give you a tad better mileage, and you have the secondaries if you really need them. Keep a steady foot on the gas pedal and maintain a constant speed. Mine is a 289 C code 2V with a 3 speed manual tranny and no mods to the engine.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:56 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

dont be so modest soaring! "no mods to the motor" HAH!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:33 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

rofl copter. Soarings Slayer will never die. But ya, these cars arent cheap. As said, I assume its a 289, you can try to swap it to Fuel Injection with some kits out there. I've seen mustangmonthly use a modern fuel injection set up that simply bolted up. And yes, the T-5 tranny swap should help. You could also try a lower gear set in the rear. IF its already at 3.25, I'd let it be, but otherwise, try lowering it to something like that.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Galactusz

If you are worried about high gas consumption on a Stang, you should get a little economy 4-cylinder Euro car instead.

+1 ... if you need to worry about that with the price of fuel in Europe, then rethink a Mustang as a daily driver!! It should use less fuel than your Landrover, but not that much less. All the mods listed such as fuel injection and o/drive boxes will definately help, but you have to do a lot of miles to justify the cost especially if you have to pay someone else to do the work. The only cost effective reduction is less right foot, but that's boring and defeats the purpose of a V8 Mustang.

spanish, are you used to economy expressed as US gals or imperial gals or liters per 100k? If mpg, then times these guys numbers by 1.2.

my engine is mildly modified so could be argued that it will be less thirsty IF i am nice to it. I also have a 3.5: 1 diff ratio which is not ideal for the highway. I average 14l/100 on the highway at 110kmh. If I sink the slipper, it will happily double that.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Olé, Manolete, olé!

Por favor, un poquito de Federico Garcia Lorca:

"Ay Antoñito el Camborio, digno de una emparatrÃ*z, acuérdate de la virgen, que te vas a morir..."

[8D]
Old 11-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken

dont be so modest soaring! "no mods to the motor" HAH!
Yeah, that sucker might get 2 or 3 MPG. Sure is fast off the line though.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Galactusz

Olé, Manolete, olé!

Por favor, un poquito de Federico Garcia Lorca:

"Ay Antoñito el Camborio, digno de una emparatrÃ*z, acuérdate de la virgen, que te vas a morir..."

[8D]
translation por favor

Quick Reply: Realistic Fuel Consumption figures