Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cant identify this leak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 04:54 AM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

Default Cant identify this leak!!!

I pulled out my hoses to the control valve 3 days ago and replaced them because of a burst. It worked fine till yesterday *i think* because i can see drops of the fluid i put in the power steering pump. Now there are no leaks as far as i can see...i started the car..lock to lock to see if there are any leaks...nothing.....The hoses going to the control valve and back are wet....i cant pin point where the fluid is coming from!!!
Im tryin to upload a picture but its givin an error..in the mean time.,.there is a bar that runs parallel to the mounting of the power steering pump..that is wet..so it seems as the leak is coming from below the pump!! but there is no leak!!

Please help!

Old 11-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cant identify this leak!!!

soak a rag in alcohol then wipe everything down really well. Follow up with a dry rag. Shield that side of the engine from air flow with a piece of cardboard. Run the car for a bit, and have a friend turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times. Fluid leaks down hill, so look for the highest wet spot. As long as it's not in the air flow path from the fan the fluid should leak straight down. You may find the front shaft seal is weeping, or it could be risidual from the repair, or the reservoir seal around the pump is weeping.

If you get things perfectly clean and dry, you don't have to wait for the drip, just look for the signs of weapage.
Good luck,

I'd suggest no open flames around that alcolol soaked rag
Old 11-24-2006, 02:03 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

I had a plug go bad in a mechanical fuel pump on my '79 5.0. I was losing oil like crazy, but yet there were no leaks. I started the car and was checking still no leaks. Not until I revved it to above 3000 rpm did it shoot oil out of one of the plug holes on the fuel pump. Try revving it and see if it does it then.
-P.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:42 PM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys!!! what i have done is..ive left a sheet of white clean paper underneath the car..its 12 AM right now......ill check in the morning if there are any leaks!!!

what exactly do u mean when u say check for "weeping"...other than that ill try both of the above mentioned methods...THANKS!!
Old 11-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Weeping means oozing, seeping or barely leaking out of a joint or hose connection.
ain't the English language fun?