Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Crash test results/statistics for classic mustang?

Old 11-27-2006, 12:06 AM   #21
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Crash test results/statistics for classic mustang?

Will an aftermarket tilt steering wheel help any as a safer addition?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Hector
Galactusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:01 AM   #22
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

the way i look at it no car is safe you can die in any car dont drive like a idiot youll live alot longer
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:10 AM   #23
H Dean
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1969 Mustang convertible

i've got a '69 convertible. my biggest fear is being hit in the rear. the pinto did wonders for how car makers look at saftey versus profits!! if your hit in the rear you better either have on a fire suit or pray you have installed a firewall/metal to give you time to get out. this is a quick and easy fix that does not cost a great deal of $.

otherwise, the biggest change in saftey is the lessening of the 'delta v' or change in velocity. air bags, crumple zones etc are responsible for this in modern cars and really dont cost auto makers a great deal of $. Frame strength does not necessarily mean saftey---sure more mass versus the guy/gal hitting you helps, but when you hit a tree, bridge or blunt and somewhat immovable object--- physics are not on your side in a older car [w/o saftey updates]. Dale Sr had a 'delta v' which compares to a 30 mph head on collision with a mountain wall on the interstate. Did not look bad on tv and does not sound that bad, but imagine running 30 and hitting a mountain head on. Not pretty.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:43 AM   #24
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 2+2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: H Dean

otherwise, the biggest change in saftey is the lessening of the 'delta v' or change in velocity. air bags, crumple zones etc are responsible for this in modern cars and really dont cost auto makers a great deal of $. Frame strength does not necessarily mean saftey---sure more mass versus the guy/gal hitting you helps, but when you hit a tree, bridge or blunt and somewhat immovable object--- physics are not on your side in a older car [w/o saftey updates].
+1...a vintage mustang may not look as smashed up after a stack because of the heavier guage steel, but the occupants are worse off. I'd crash a modern honda way before i'd have the same accident in a stang. The whole idea of the car crumpling to bits is to protect the occupants. As for the Mustang being heavier...heavier than the real small asian cars maybe, but a lot lighter than most family sedans of today. My mustang is longer and wider than my subaru but weighs around 500lbs less.

3 point belts and high backed seats are 2 of the quickest ways to make it safer. Whiplash injuries in old cars are a major factor that has been reduced firstly by high backed seats and secondly by airbags. Add 4 wheel disc brakes (bigger the better), decent suspension and tires.

In the absence of crumple zones and airbags, a roll cage and 6 point harness is the only real way to protect yourself.

oh and the Defender...doesnt rate too high in crash statistics because (a) there arent that many of them and (b) they are generally driven very slowly and often with a horse trailer on the back. No Defenders featured in the Fast and the Furious!! No offense intended Spanish, but no way known are they a safe design by modern standards.
Aussie66Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:15 AM   #25
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

The statistics on the website I posted showing the Defender as the safest car show the percentage of people dead or seriously injured in crashes involving the vehicle, i.e. people injured/crashes that gives an accurate Idea. And amount of cars on the road is irrelevant, whats more in the UK there are quite a lot of defenders on the road.

The car isnt driven fast, thats true.

Crashing into a tree or wall yes you need crumple zones but in an accident with another car it is the crumple zone and rather than going into a tree Id rather head for the car causing the accident in the first place. Same as with an SUV you dont start abruptly steering away, you keep the car steady.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far,
spanish mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:34 AM   #26
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 65 Ford Mustang

Spanish, I agree with aussie here about the defender they will be a 25% in number compared to a ford mondeo BMW 3 etc in the UK and then most will be concentrated in country, less traffic. Also when landrovers crash not all are reported as road accidents especially when the farmers had a few to drink, the accident will have happerned in a field. I happern to come from the welsh boarders (English side). Plus u must remember that 99% of statistics are made up on the spot.

paddy187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:44 AM   #27
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, but I would still be very interested to see any pictures of crashed mustangs people might have
spanish mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #28
chernabogmt

I have for several years taken a rather unique and somewhat obsessive/compulsive interest in auto safety... new and old cars.

I can discuss some of the theories in greater detail but will not so as not to bore you.

With regard to classic mustang safety:

1. There are some minor improvements that I suggest : A. modern tension retraction shoulder strap seat belts. B. 3rd Brake Light (tacky but all other cars have them) C. Fuel cell or dividing barrier btw back seat and passenger compartment. ------ These are all relatively cheap and easy upgrades.

2. Some other improvements I recommend if budget allows: A. disc brake upgrade B. collapsable steering column C. Headrests. D. Suspension upgrades.

I firmly believe with the right upgrades a classic mustang is safe, of course depending on what you run into.

I have not seen any empiracal crash test data, but in many years of mustanging have seen many Mustang accidents 1st and 2nd hand. head on impacts at 40-50 mph with very little passenger injury.

Of course anectotal experience is not empiracal, and every accident is unique with respect to impact velocity/force vectors, etc.

In a major impact I would definatly rather be in a retrofitted classic then a civic/focus/camry, etc but if I had my choice it would be a crown vic, F350, or Peterbuilt if an M1A1 is not available!!!

Just my 2 cents.... but for any driver mustang i strongly recommend consideration to some of the aforementioned upgrades.... concourse show cars are another matter.
chernabogmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:12 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1965, 68, accident, accidents, classic, collapsible, crash, crumple, ford, mustang, mustangs, statistics, steering, test, wheel, zone