Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

takin the stang round the curves

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 01:57 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Default takin the stang round the curves

well ladies, when people think about the mustang, generally they think (From what ive observed) straight line speed. some other members might think trans am series, i dunno its all a matter of what youve seen. today i drove the stang for an hour, got some gas, got a hair cut, drove home. after sittin at home on this beautiful saturday after noon in dallas texas, i decided to take it out again, for a more fun drive. i drove about 45 minutes from my house to the country, it was getting dark, no one was on the roads. perfect. just had the whole suspension on the stang redone, brand spankin new, no huge performance packages or anything, just new. she took the corners like a champ. held the road well, had both sides of the road to myself, i could take full advantage of the car. man i wish i had a 4 or 5 speed manual and a monte carlo bar, some gears, a little more power. id be great. just orderd the new intake and carb, gunna be swapping trannys some time in the next 10 years, monte carlo bar will be comming around jan. i had a great time out in the country blastin through turns and floorin it in the straights, how often do you guys take out your stangs to the twisties?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: takin the stang round the curves

Every chance I get!

This is just one of many roads near by. Most of it is like 1.5 lane narrow. Has some great twisties both up and down.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16598/C7E07196110647A0A734AC3F526803D8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-26-2006, 02:53 AM
2bav8
2nd Gear Member

Every chance I get when the weather isn't too hot!
I have a few "favorite" roads that really tests the suspension
Old 11-26-2006, 06:29 AM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

Being in Spain I get more curves in the road than straights and will be able to say whether the whole thing about american cars not taking corners is true or not (when I decide on which Mustang to buy). Of course one has to respect the comments of the likes of Jeremy Clarkson but im hoping the mustang will be different and if it isnt it wont bother me too much.

Here I have curves that have tested my modern VW Golf so it will be interesting!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

We have a very curvy road that goes from my house to the neighboring town that is about 15 miles long. It's a country road, so the traffic is very light. I love slowing down to about 10 MPH higher than the sign says, then floor it halfway through. I think that is more fun than racing.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Gun Jam

Over thanksgiving the neighbor had some friends up from England and one of them noticed the 66 in the driveway and the other noticed the 58 A/H bugeye they both requested a demonstration. The guy that went with me in the mustang asked how well it cornered I was like Here Ill show you [sm=badbadbad.gif] We went up the south fork, its a twisty sucker with lots of medium to hard turns and a few 90s.

We came out of one 90 left at about 35 and I was in 1st gear and hammered it on the exit got the car up to 70 for a split second then full brakes into a 90 right with a 10mph yellow sign executed the turn at about 20 or better in 1st and hammered it again on the exit breaking rear wheel traction for a second, repeat for the next turn.

He was quite impressed with the acceleration/braking and cornering. When we got home he told his buddy that he didn’t think a classic could do that stuff and that we only almost died twice (wasn’t even close).

With the right tires and suspension upgrades they will stick to the road.

Gun