Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Is There Really A Difference Between These???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:27 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default Is There Really A Difference Between These???

they all seem to have the same specs more or less but the cheapest one comes with tools....i don't get it?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

i know the oil-lubed one is prob the best but its probably not worth the extra money if its only pumping out .4 more CFM...right?

according to some "buyers guide" thing i found online these should easily run a paint gun, grinder, DA, ratchet and other basic hand tools....or not?

it just seems like some people love it in the reviews and some people expect you to need a 460 V8 powering the 2,000 gal. air tank/silo under the house....i dont know where he reality is....i just want to be able to run a spray gun, ratchet and impact wrench, and a DA maybe a grinder......

Old 11-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Is There Really A Difference Between These???

The second one is your best buy. It has a 6 hp motor on it whereas the other 2 are 2 hp. They are all 150 psi. The first two are 33 gal and the 3rd is 25 gal. Besides, the 2nd one is on sale.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:47 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

The ones that stand out in your list are DA and impact. The PSI available to the impact make a huge difference in its ability to do its job. 60psi is barely enough to run them, 90 works pretty well, but 110-150 will give them stupid power, but the cheap ones might explode internally..

A DA takes a huge amount of volume rather than more psi, its cfm that matters there. If your compressor cant keep up with it, you will be waiting 4-8 minutes for it to fill again running it for a minute or less, and the compressor motor will run the entire time.

Spraying paint doesnt take that much air. It does neeed to be oil, moisture, and dirt free to spray paint. No need to get fisheyes from your compressor. So a filter/dryer system is more than a good idea for one of those.

I have a large amount of pneumatic tools, and the one I dont have is an airratchet. Havent found a decent one that will live any length of time. So if you find one that lasts more than a month or so, let me know. and I dont mean one that simply operates, I want it to be able to turn bolts and break stuff lose on its own..lol.

I would love to have an air compressor with a 500hp V8 and a 2k gallon tank for air. I could do almost anything then.. Does the world have enough sand for a setup like that?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

I've had a Mac air wratchet for about 15 years. I couldn't tell you the model # as the plate is missing. I picked torque over speed, so what ever model had the greatest torque value is what I bought. It's been an awesome air wratchet. Used hard and abused 5-6 days a week for 10 of those years. Never been rebuilt, and still runs about 80% of what it did new. Not the fastest, but excellent torque. Ingersol Rand used to have some quality stuff, haven't shopped Air tools for... well, 15 years or more, so that is pretty dated.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:28 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

They all suck...they're Craftsmen
Old 11-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Going throough the SF bay area Craig'slist:

one you were looking at for half the cost:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/239656921.html

An exceptional deal based on parts availability:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/239802002.html

Compressor like the one you selected and a 7" polisher sander:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/238194697.html

And there are lots more. Some good stuff local to you. I'd look closely at the Devillbiss. If the compressors in good shape, it's a great deal with a new motor. Devillbis makes quality product.
Craigslist is a good place to find stuff. At least until fleabay gets there paws on majority stock.

Good luck,
Old 11-26-2006, 03:15 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

My advice is to avoid the oil less ones at all cost unless you really hate your neighbors and want to **** them off.

You will likely have this compressor a long time and shouldn't have to suffer through the noise the oil less ones make. I've had my belt driven Craftsman for about 25 years and it is still going strong. Of the three you listed, I'd go with the last one. Not only will it be quieter, but it is a dual range voltage model. Swith a few wires inside and you can run it off of your dryer plug or similar 220V outlet. The compressor performs a lot better on the high voltage. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

The real test of an air compressor is how much volume it can push AT OPERATING PRESSURE. I was just looking at a compressor that uses a screw type supercharger in place of the conventional piston type. It was HIDEOUSLY expensive, but could push almost as much air at 175 psi as it could push free flow, not to mention it runs extremely quiet.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:49 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Just how hideous?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Just how hideous?
It was a while ago I was looking, and I was just curious, not really in the market so I wasnt paying much attention. A quick search of production tool supply shows the I-R 80 gal 7.5 hp vertical compressor at $2100, while the screw type 80 gal 7.5 hp horizontal tank is $5900. It looks like the airflow numbers are actually about the same... hmm... I must have heard someting wrong, I thought the screw type WAY outflowed the conventional compressor.

Quick Reply: Is There Really A Difference Between These???