Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

which do you prefer? restomod or restore?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:59 PM
65Vert
2nd Gear Member

Default which do you prefer? restomod or restore?

Just a quick poll guys. Do you like to restore as close to spec (of course minor upgrades like brakes or suspension but as long as you keep it looking as "classic" as possible) or do you like restomodding (the hotrod of today and go full-on tailor-fitting the stang to suit your individual taste...whether it be in full blast performance upgrades, interior upgrades, or even cosmetic upgrades...so that your stang is that one-of-a-kind beauty you would want it to be. The stang made by you for you.)

There are a lot of gray areas here but it is just a matter of whether you like keeping it as "classic" as possible or keep the soul but reconfigure the mortal shell.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:01 AM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Default RE: which do you prefer? restomod or restore?

i think you should add a mix of the two...some of us restore our cars to almost original but some things are different cuz we prefer it, such as the T5 swap. Umless you wanna just call any mod a restomod?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Depends on the car. Sometimes, I like Day 1 resto's, sometimes full on mods. In either case, I keep the reason I chose the specific car for a rebuild...the classic lines and style. I don't mess with those.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:34 AM
65Vert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BillyBobJoe

i think you should add a mix of the two...some of us restore our cars to almost original but some things are different cuz we prefer it, such as the T5 swap. Umless you wanna just call any mod a restomod?
it is a good suggestion but some have already voted. people will tend to want to vote an in-betwen so i made it both extremes. it is more like do people like the traditional classic look with some safety and performance and handling mods or will they go full blast foose style.

Because not many really do full numbers matching restorations as that is difficult for a driver. So it is more like Classic looks vs Restomod looks? I would say that will help in your voting. Because you can keep classic looks while doing some hidden or non-intrusive mods

Old 11-28-2006, 01:45 AM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

in that case, I prefer the looks of the originals for the most part. I think my car looks dang sexy straight from the factory. However, I like people to look at it from the outside and see an original Mach 1, then when they get up close and inside they see the car that can leave rubber all over your windshield.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:55 AM
65Vert
2nd Gear Member

that is a good one...and from the specs of your ride i can see you can leave lots eating your dust...as a true stallion should.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:25 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

i personally like the resto mod look.....but all depends.....if i have the orginal eng then it would be pure stock
Old 11-28-2006, 02:36 AM
68SCode4speed
2nd Gear Member

All depends on the interpretation...

I like a classic stock looking car with updated wheels to add some flash, like Torq Thrusts... then hide the goodies out of plain view like Pertronix and black colored poly bushings...

But what it comes down to is what I feel like on that day. Basically I would like to drive a classic but want some safety upgrades. If I found a car that wasn't valuable then I'd make a replica race car out of it!!! I love that video that was posted of the two mustangs tearing it up on that road course...
Old 11-28-2006, 02:58 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

as long as its a plain jane car build it to be driven by you if its rare leave it alone
Old 11-28-2006, 03:19 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

well its nice to see originality but it has to be done right and clean for a restomod but orginality is nice too because remember that the restomod could not exist if the original car never came about so i like both and BTW i never wanna see an import motor in a classic american except for mexican 302 block i want one with those nifty 4 bolt mains and the more rigid/stout block

Quick Reply: which do you prefer? restomod or restore?