Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

She'll be great someday I just know it!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:10 AM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

Default She'll be great someday I just know it!!

So here's the project. I just bought a 302 2v. I replaced the belts, new plugs, pcv valve, you know, general tune up stuff. I also did the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket because it was leaking like a siv. I pulled out everything in the interior and discovered that I'm a victim of the infamous Mustang floor pan rust. The driver's side resembels the Flinstone's car.

At first the interior lights didn't work and, after undoing the entire wiring harness, found out it was due to a bad wire job on an after market stereo. Got that fixed, but the blinkers don't work and after a new turn signal CAM, they still don't. I've checked all of the fuses and still can't seem to track down the problem. I'm debating on taking it to someone to get the problem tracked down because I'm getting so tired of wiring problems.

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw out some pics of the project which will eventually be black on black with all the chrome in the right places, a set of 17x8 Torque Thrust II wheels, a conversion to a 4bbl 500 cfm carb, rack & pinion power steering, and power (tinted) windows. Was the "tinted" (or even the power) part of the windows comment plasphamy? I dunno, but I think it would look really tough.

Whatdaya think?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:13 AM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

Default RE: She'll be great someday I just know it!!

Oh....also thought I should throw in a pic of my help on the project. He doesn't have much experience, but I'm starting him off on the right path.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:23 AM
restomod67
1st Gear Member

Looks pretty clean rust wise. The floor pans always have holes in them but if your door pillars and dash panel are solid that is a big plus. Whatever projects you do to it you should take step by step pics and maybe put up a webpage!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:23 AM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

BTW, would it be such a bad idea to just pop rivot sheet metal over a rusted floor pan for a temporary fix? I mean, it would still work as well and if you used Rustoleum, it would at least contain the problem until I could afford to have new floor pans welded in right?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:24 AM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

Oh....webpage. I like that idea. Not sure how to do it, but sounds like it would be cool. I know what you mean by step by step. I start getting so excited about everything I want to do, that I get overwhelmed sometimes.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:26 AM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

I know your problem, you forgot to top off the blinker fluid! haha jk. Welcome aboard! She looks good. Do you have any pictures of the whole car?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:34 AM
restomod67
1st Gear Member

Sandwiching new metal over a floor pan is the WORST repair you can do. Having said that, if it's truly temporary then go for it, but remember it will not add any structural strength. It will be just so your foot doesn't fall thru the floor or the carpet doesn't get soaked from underneath. You don't need to contain the problem if your weld repair will be done correctly. You will be cutting the whole floor pan out anyway. When you say temporary, it should not be more then 6 months.

You sound like you plan on some major work for the ride. I'd suggest you invest in some tools. Mainly, a welder and compressor. If you plan on a full restoration you will save money in the long run vs taking it to a shop.
As for your floor pans, I just put in custom 16ga toe pans in my restomod and will be putting in 16ga floor pans also. If you want to check out the work take a look at my homepage.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:46 AM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

No real good pics of the whole car as of yet. I guess I was too excited to get it in garage and start the work to take a good profile shot. I put in what I have though.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54647/664CDAD822104103BAA7D720ECA0022A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/54647/25110994E0854D959BBAAC4A0E7D839D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-29-2006, 01:52 AM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

Sweet ride! Do you already have your power windows in? What did you do as far as door panels and the switch location? I was always wondering if you would have to fabricate a new panel or try to somehow fit the switch into the pre-cut round hold for the manual window crank.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:55 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Pretty sure I heard your helper say "re-wire it big guy!". And he should know, being a Mustang fanatic. So if it was me, I'd listen closely too him.
For what it will cost to take it to someone, you can buy all new repro harnesses. Or, seing as you are going to be adding in more circuits, get an aftermarket kit with updated circuitry. Doesn't eliminate problem components (other than the wires themselves), but it sure gives you a great base to start with.

Sounds like you guys have a great project. Work safe!

Quick Reply: She'll be great someday I just know it!!