Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Problem w/ start up...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
supermanzx9r
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Problem w/ start up...

i had a ford fairmont back in the day ( yeah i know bad choice) and i had the same problem and it was all this junk in the gas tank
Old 11-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

Might sound stupid, but if there was debris in the tank could the weight of the added gasoline help "push" the fuel throught he line and when the tank is nearly empty is doesn't?
Old 11-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The sending unit collects the gas from almost the bottom of the tank, and that is where the debris would be no matter how much gas you have in the tank. You may have a fuel pump about to go south on you.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:28 PM
supermanzx9r
2nd Gear Member

but with a full tank the debri will always stay moving and floating but went the gas is almost empty the debri settles
Old 11-30-2006, 06:30 PM
supermanzx9r
2nd Gear Member

look it will cost you nothing to drop the tank and clean it out
Old 11-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: supermanzx9r

but with a full tank the debri will always stay moving and floating but went the gas is almost empty the debri settles
Not after it has been sitting all night. Whether the tank is full or empty, the debris will all be on the bottom.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan66Stang

Thanks for all the replies, it could be any of the suggestions. I did what you said Scott H., and it was fine. Yea, it has points but I had those replaced not too long ago. And the debris in the gas tank is very possible I guess.
ok so you have good fuel flow, so more likely weak battery. Mine was doing the same thing last winter here (and our weather doesnt get that cold). It just seems reluctant to fire first thing. Once it had started one time for the day, no problem. It was down on cranking amps even though it was charging properly and showing full voltage. There are new meters around now that dont do that "flatten the battery under load" thing like the old tests. A good sparky will have one.

if it is junk in the tank it will normally affect the car at more than just cold morning start up. A bit of rubbish that gets through the carby wont stop combustion and you say you have a solid stream of fuel per Scott H's test. Debris will normally stop fuel from getting through the carb causing missing (or failure to start) but then may clear itself and seem fine. It would feel the same as running out of gas. Alternatively, it will stick the float valve open and the car may flood...this may be possible in your case, but it wouldnt just do it cold.

Either way, you should have an inline fuel filter and, if in doubt, fit one or replace existing. Takes 10 seconds and will eliminate that possible cause!

good luck
Old 11-30-2006, 07:55 PM
mlitz
2nd Gear Member

to tell you the truth i would get rid of those point i just replaced min not more the 2 weeks ago (because of misfiring) and it fix it! for 2 weeks! so guess I'm putting down the Cash for MSD. !woot!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Take the gas line off at the carb and run it into a jar. Have someone try to crank the engine and see what kind of fuel flow you are getting when the tank is down low on fuel. I'll bet it is a weak stream which means you have a fuel pump about to die on you.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Dan66Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Take the gas line off at the carb and run it into a jar. Have someone try to crank the engine and see what kind of fuel flow you are getting when the tank is down low on fuel. I'll bet it is a weak stream which means you have a fuel pump about to die on you.
I'll try this as soon as I get the chance.

Quick Reply: Problem w/ start up...