Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Crate motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:10 AM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Default Crate motors

Can anyone explain crate motors to me.

Are these motors identical to what you would find in new cars? Do they take away the "character" of a classics. Doesn't the rest of the car (suspension, transmission, etc) have to be upgraded? Are cars with carte motors more reliable? Do major manufacturers (ie Ford) offer crate motors for sale or are these private entreprises?

And fianlly, if carte motors are so good why rebuild an old engine?

Thnaks
Old 11-30-2006, 03:37 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Crate motors

ORIGINAL: Timelockmind

Can anyone explain crate motors to me.

Are these motors identical to what you would find in new cars? Do they take away the "character" of a classics. Doesn't the rest of the car (suspension, transmission, etc) have to be upgraded? Are cars with carte motors more reliable? Do major manufacturers (ie Ford) offer crate motors for sale or are these private entreprises?

And fianlly, if carte motors are so good why rebuild an old engine?

Thnaks
no there not identical, no they dont take any charater away, it doesnt have to be upgraded if you put the same sized engine in the car as it had before, but upgrading it is recommended, crate motors are as reliable as as you take care of the engine, fordracing.com mustangengines.com
Old 11-30-2006, 11:28 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

People rebuild old engines because it saves a bit of money.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

There are many variations of crate motors. The beauty of them is that you can order just about what you want and have it the next day or so. Guys who build their own engines do it for the love of doing it and making sure that every aspect of the engine is what they want, and may not be able to get in a crate engine, plus they are able to keep the same block and other parts that came with the car. The numbers matching thing.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

By definition, a "crate" motor, is either a short or long block that is built, and then "crated" up for shipping/delivery. It can be brand new, remanufactured, or rebuilt to exceed factory specifications. What mechanically determines how the rest of the car is modified, depends upon the amount of additional power over stock, is specified when placing the order for the "crate" engine.
I think Ford produces some very nice "crate" motors. They run the gammut from bone stock truck engines, to very wild. Every piece is brand new. And, according to Ford, the engines run down the same production lines as engines going into new vehicles. On the other end of the spectrum is you local Earl Schribes rebuilder who offers a "crate engine" that is a bunch of old parts pulled from big piles, hot tanked and installed, with different bores from cylinder to cylinder, and no balancing. In the middle are good to exceptional builders, that by shear volume can beat what it would cost the average Joe to build the same thing with all the Machine work involved.

I think every gear head should do at least one engine build. To include watching over the shoulder of a good machinest, and learn how the machining process is done. It is so darned cool! From there, I think it's totally up to the individual.

A 347 stroker could easily be passed off as a 289, and still put down some killer power with iron heads. A lot of the character can be derived from the camshaft and heads. The advantage we have with todays parts are the metalurgy, and component research and developement.
With a quality crate engine, it's more about ease, speed, consistency of build quality, and bang for the buck. Crate motors are all that and more.
That said, I get a lot of pleasure massaging over all the parts and doing all the little tricks, and trying new stuff. When you fire up an engine that is smooth as silk and you built it... Man, after 30+ years, it's still a thrill to me every time.