Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

found a 66 need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:31 PM
fishyducky
2nd Gear Member

Default found a 66 need help

i would greatly appreciate any help i could get with this. please take a quick look at my other post.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2335633/tm.htm

thank you.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: found a 66 need help

No way to give you an accurate figure, but it just looks like an average 66 coupe in average condition. Certainly not worth 14 grand in my part of the world. Maybe 6-8 grand.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:42 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

nah too pricey u could probably find a fastabck for similar money in decent shape
Old 11-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

$14.5K is a lot for a coupe! I'd be expecting something more than what I see in those two pictures. If there's nothing more than a nice set of wheels, I'd think that should run about $8K with no rust, and no P.O. stupidity. I'd want to see a "6R" in the vin with title history that kept it here. And the rest better be absolutely perfect. to go $14K.
It's a cheap repaint, but I don't see much in the way of mods, so if it's correct, a "C" or "A" code, not a "bondo baby", and has spent it's life in a dry climate, $8K would be a decent price.
Just my two cents.
Good luck!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:45 PM
fishyducky
2nd Gear Member

wow thank you so much guys. i will talk to him and check it out thoroughly. do u guys have any tips to give me while im looking it over? what areas should i especially look at, etc.

again, thank you.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Man, that's a big question! Go to one of the Shelby sites, and look through how to discern a real Shelby. A lot of that information is relevent.
Take a light magnet, like those magnet business cards. It should stick good to every part of the body (I made a little "T" handle with a piece of Scotch tape on the back side to make it easy to move from spot to spot). Pay attention to the vin numbers and data plate. Look at the type of rivets on the door plate. If it has an "R" as the second digit in the vin, it won't have buck tags. Make sure the title, left inner fender, and door tag all match.

Rust is prevelent towards the bottom of the doors, bottom of the rear quarters, the rear of the wheel opening on the front fenders, and below the trim of the rear windows. Pay close attention here....
You know what? If you get real serious, get a certified inspector. There's just way too much to try to write here, and that's a heck of a lot of money for that car.
At that price, I wouldn't expect that car to go anywhere quick. Plenty of time to find a good inspector who knows classic Mustangs.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, either get a pro to inspect it, or call the local Mustang club in LA and ask for someone to go inspect it for/with you. Take it to a Ford house and have a qualified mechanic inspect the mechanical condition of it. It still has the drum/shoe brakes and the single jelly jar Master Cylinder, so there has been no upgrade to that brake system. The magnet thing works great to determine if body filler has been added in large amounts at the bottom of the doors fenders and rear quarter panel. If you can crawl under it, a chedk with a screwdriver to try to poke holes in the frame rails and floors will tell you if the floors and rails are rusty. If the floors have holes in them, then the cowl has leaked and that it a very expensive repair.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:47 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

I would not pay $14,500 for that car. It seems to be in decent condition but I bought a 66 coupe for less with a better engine compartment for that price. try to talk the person selling the car down a bit!!!

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing
Old 11-30-2006, 11:49 PM
supermanzx9r
2nd Gear Member

that looks like 5000 at the most
Old 11-30-2006, 11:50 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

That is a great analysis on that car!!!!

Quick Reply: found a 66 need help