Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Day 1 done, day 2 starts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default Day 1 done, day 2 starts...

Of replacing the floors in the money hole.

I only got a few pics as we were scrambling between rain storms to get the driver side cut out and fitted for welding this morning. My friend had his 36 Buick in the garage so we worked under the carport. I know, let the Dodge get wet! and I would have had it not been his garage and the Dodge is in the very beginning stages of assembly.

Anywho - here we go.
This is the only pic of the Drivers side I got pre-removal. ( it was looking pretty nasty and we wanted this side done)

My good friend marking spot welds to be drilled.

And finaly me doing some final grind prep before instal. It got nasty as we were riviting the pan in place to be welded so we stopped there and will finish that side up and get the other out and ready for weld today.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Day 1 done, day 2 starts...

Looks like you are working hard. So, you drilled out the spot welds instead of cutting the floor out?
Old 12-02-2006, 01:19 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

have fun with that tetnis.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Looks like you are working hard. So, you drilled out the spot welds instead of cutting the floor out?
Day 2 went crappy from the time I got up. The news called for 20% chance of rain. I guess we got 100% of that 20% chance. I didn't get much done at all. I did get some other stuff situated around the house though. Little brownie points on the wife faction to help things along next week when I plan on being late for dinner

We decided to do as clean of a job as we could. We could have just used the cut off wheel and zipped along the spot welds but some after we looked it over, there would be some spots that were kinda iffy to weld back into. We decided to take the extra time and just do it right. In the long run it'll pay off I rekon.

I got some of the interior sanded and some other misc. stuff done, but in all it was a non productive day. I'm starting to get withdrawls already and it's only been 3 days of not driving her. I keep telling myself - new floors, new seats, new dash, new kick panels, new package tray, new, new, new.

Cheers.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Day 2 of the teardown is done. We started on the passanger side about 9 AM. ( it rained just about all weekend so I just did misc stuff until today )

After about 30 mins into things we found the toe board was eat up about 1/2 way. This put us behind schedule a little as we planned on atleast having things rivited into place and ready for weld.

We did get everything cut out and the pan fitted. But we stopped there. We're getting one of our cold snaps in the morning so I guess we'll get a late start.

Never the less, we're still on schedule to get everything done and ready for interior this week. Including paint. I didn't get any pics because I forgot my camera. I'll get more tomorrow.

It's nearing one week w/out driving my car and I can say it's not getting any easier
Old 12-04-2006, 11:58 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Nice.... [/South Park imitation]

It could be worse, it could be SNOWING..

Will be doing the pans on the Cougar later this week.. when they show up anyway
Old 12-05-2006, 02:22 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Nice.... [/South Park imitation]

It could be worse, it could be SNOWING..

Will be doing the pans on the Cougar later this week.. when they show up anyway

or flooding....

or hailing beach ball sized pieces of hail....
Old 12-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

It always gets harder before you see the light at the end of the tunnel! Just hang in there and the payoff will be worth it!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

quit your cryin, i havent driven my car in months and its my only mode of transportation besides stealing someone else's car....i bet you have another car....which is very convenient....
Old 12-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Day 2 done, day 3 starts...

Day 3 in the books.

We finished welding in the passanger side and did some misc stuff as the day was ending ( got the dash somewhat ready for paint. pretested the seat pans for fit. etc. )

I should be picking up the upholstery in the morning. I need one of the seats to get them in the final position and make sure they're lvl, etc. After test and fit/weld, it's undercoat time. After that we'll paint. Then final assembly. With the weekend basicaly non productive, it may be the beginning of next week before I am finished. Oh well, it's well worth the wait.

I suspect tomorrow we'll be all but done with weld.

Cheers.

Edit*

I forgot the stinking camera again this morning. By the time I figured it out, I was too far down the road to turn around. I did, however, stick the camera in the truck when I got home today