Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

427 SOHC engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Commodore

Default RE: 427 SOHC engine

Decurion,
Good catch on my three valves per cylinder error. It's been some time since I've had a chance to be around one of these art objects. Ford did make a three valve big block head back then (the source of my confusion) that I think was called (in the pits) the "Calliope engine". I'm guessing one had to know someone pretty far up the Ford corporate ladder to have access to such an engine. Getting a crate SOHC from Ford might have required a bit of magic too. Anyone know if the three valve engine was based on a Boss 429 or an FE 427 side oilier? Never saw one in person so I'm kinda blue skying it a bit here. You are correct on the SOHC cams being chain driven but I think a few SOHC engines were fitted with gear drives too (probably hand tooled in the after market like the Ford twin cam small block F1 engines that dominated for so many years).
RB
Old 12-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 427 SOHC engine

I thought Ford only made the chain drive, but Pete Jackson made a gear drive with about 20 gears in it. I think someone is making a belt drive for it now too.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:56 PM
stanger53
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 427 Calliope Engine

The Calliope engine was a design made for Le Mans racing, but was obsoleted before introduction when the 183ci limit was imposed.

It was based on a 427 style engine but hade two camshafts, one above the other mounted in the aluminum block, the intake cam on the bottom, the exhaust cam above it. It featured dry sump oiling, 3-valves per cylinder, no head gaskets (there was no coolant passages from the block to the head) and two water pumps. The aluminum heads had injector ports cast into them. The heads were a pent-roof design and had two intake and one exhaust valve.

There was two engines built for testing. On a dyno run the engine made 630hp at 6400rpm, but was believed capable of over 800hp with an 8000rpm redline. The complete engine with flywheel weighed 577lbs. The spectacular thing about the engine was that 75% of the engines power was reached in the first 15 degrees of throttle opening. By 1968 the idea of the Calliope engine was shelved.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:19 PM
69boss429
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanger53

The Calliope engine was a design made for Le Mans racing, but was obsoleted before introduction when the 183ci limit was imposed.

It was based on a 427 style engine but hade two camshafts, one above the other mounted in the aluminum block, the intake cam on the bottom, the exhaust cam above it. It featured dry sump oiling, 3-valves per cylinder, no head gaskets (there was no coolant passages from the block to the head) and two water pumps. The aluminum heads had injector ports cast into them. The heads were a pent-roof design and had two intake and one exhaust valve.

There was two engines built for testing. On a dyno run the engine made 630hp at 6400rpm, but was believed capable of over 800hp with an 8000rpm redline. The complete engine with flywheel weighed 577lbs. The spectacular thing about the engine was that 75% of the engines power was reached in the first 15 degrees of throttle opening. By 1968 the idea of the Calliope engine was shelved.
Lots of info here,some not so accurate!
Ford did build the SOHC 427 for Nascar,but it was banned by Bill France before it ever raced.
Ford never installed the Cammer in any production vehicles.
Yes, you could buy it from the Ford parts department.
Yes that's a cammer in that picture.
One cam in each head,2 valves per cylinder,chain drive from Ford was stock.
Lots of cammers found their way into drag cars,especially top fuel and funny car.
The Calliope label was used on the Can AM 494 engines which were based on the Boss 429,and they did run in lots of Can Am races.
I would be interested in the car and the engine if it is available!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:00 PM
stanger53
1st Gear Member

Sorry, 69boss429, but I believe the information is indeed accurate. Though the Calliope engine displaced 427cid and had some features used in the 427FE engines, it had nothing to do with the 427SOHC engine, so there is no comparing the two. My information was specific to the Calliope engine mentioned in an earlier post and has nothing to do with the 427SOHC engine.

I have never heard of the Boss 429 based CanAm engines being refered to as a "Calliope" engine, but the name was originally applied to an earlier engine that in no way resembled a B429 engine.

The original Calliope engine was a unique engine that was developed for Le Mans racing and was never produced beyond prototype test engines before it was shelved.

The information comes directly from an article in the June 1968 issue of HOT ROD magazine where the author went to Ford and talked to the engineers that designed the engines and was shown actual examples of the engine, as well as the 289SOHC, the 3-valve 302SOHC, and the prototype Boss 429 engine.

I also remember reading that when Arias-Root bought a lot of Ford parts in bulk in the mid 80's, they bought complete Boss engines and parts and paid for it by the pound. Some of what they bought was the actual core boxes to make a lot of the Ford parts, and the article specifically mentioned that included the core boxes for the Calliope engine, so the potential to build the engine is still out there.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

When you guys mentioned how valuable that engine is, I drove over to talk to the owner, and the car wasn't there. It either sold, or he changed his mind.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:40 PM
69boss429
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: stanger53

I never said it had anything to do with the 427SOHC,but the Ford Can Am 494 which was based on the Boss 429 was nicknamed the Calliope.
See attached photos.Name was given in part due to its rather tall induction stacks.Caption below picture of the #15 car states as such.Reference to a Calliope was also used on the engine you mention,but it was never produced.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25247/2FEF779B94764F0FA322506FDF4E5D24.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25247/31ECAB95796346B28142AC4686DF2524.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-06-2006, 05:34 PM
85lebaront2
1st Gear Member

For all of you, the SOHC 427 was a mid to late 60s offering. I had the experiance of seeing Hubert Platt of Platt and Pane drop 20 ft of double row roller chain on the starting line at Suffolk raceway in 1969. I talked to him Sunday moring as he was rec doing the engine at Gwynn's Automotive. The Calliope was built for the 1968 LeMans race after the French and Enzio Ferrari screamed about the Fords winning. Ford wanted a pushrod 3 valve engine so it would be unrestricted. After the rule change, Ford said No more, we aren't going to be pushed around by people who lose wars. The picture of the engine with the stacks is a Boss 429 style. The SOHC and Caliope and the 4 cam Indy engine along with backing Shelby was all part of Ford's "Total Performance" program in the 60s.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Commodore

Looks like the Ford tree has been shaken and we old guys are what fell to the ground. Nice to see that we still play with automotive toys so many years down the road. First On Race Day (FORD) is alive and well .
RB
Old 12-08-2006, 12:08 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

I'm going to get killed/hung for this, but aside from the mustang, and maybe the gt/gt40 ford can kindly kiss my posterior!

Quick Reply: 427 SOHC engine