Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Brake Fluid/Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:36 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Brake Fluid/Line Question

dot is silicone based and cant be used without flushing out the old brake system with alochol dot is fine just get it from a sealed container! preferably metal like from ford(plastic bottles even unopened can absorb water thru the bottle)
Old 12-08-2006, 12:41 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Brake Fluid/Line Question

I did a search and here is something else that was posted:

"Yes, it can be done. I would not personally recommend it though.
Dot 3-4 absorbs moisture that gets into the system. Silicon based fluids do not. So that water ends up causing rust and corrosion inside your brake system.
If you do decide to go with the Silicon based fluid, the only really correct way is to disassemble everything and flush it out with a cleaner (alcohol works well for this). Then assemble everything using the new Silicon based fluid as a lubricant during assembly, Then blead the system. Make sure you note on the master cylinder cap that it is now a silicon based system.

I've worked with both sytems, and have seen the mess it makes when you put the wrong stuff in and contaminate it. I've also seen the corrosion in aluminum pistons and rust in the steel lines and cylinders. "

I also read this in a magazine somewhere....If I were you, I would just swap the master and get the leak fixzed. Worry about converting to DOT 5 later, if at all.

Good luck.