Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Day 5 - Undercoating done.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default Day 5 - Undercoating done.

Was a medicore productive day. The upholster shop was set back 1/2 the day to one of their folks having vehicle problems. So this meant I got my seat way late. We did get it ligned up and rivited in, but no welding. ( not to mention that the top half looks horrible. The material was cut and sewn wrong from whoever does it before it's shipped to NPD. so it didn't fit at all. It's just plain ugly. I'll have to get it replaced in the future when I get everything together.)

I did get everything undercoated save the section where the driver side seat tower will get welded. No sense in undercoating when the weld will just burn it off. We did get the kick panels painted. We also test fitted the dash pad ( I purchased the original Ford tooling instead of a reop ). I gotta say, it looks outstanding. I was very pleased with the fit. I sanded the dash and door shells as well. With the hard freeze tonight, I suspect we'll not be painting until mid afternoon or at all if the temps are not favorable.

I purchased the Por-15 starter kits frok NPD a while back when I ordered the interior stuff. So I already had it on hand. I used it on the drive shaft hump and what I had left I used in the trunk. I'm sure the product does as advertised. We'll see in time. The guy thats been helping me said if you're going to go thru a 3 step process and have to wait on dry times, etc, then why not just acid etch after you wire wheel and treat with a good primer/paint? He's an old school body man so I guess he's still stuck there. He does amazing work and I'm anxious to see his Buick he is doing as a finished product.

Anywho - I didn't get any pics today - mainly because I was friggin beat after all the up and down from under the car and if you've seen one undercoated floor pan you've seen them all. I wish I would have taken at least one pic of the dash pad, however. That's the best part of the day for me.

If all goes well, I am still on schedule for mid week for completion. I'm anxious.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:18 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Day 5 - Undercoating done.

can you get a pick of the undercoated floor pan tomarrow?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Why did you use undercoating on the floor pans?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Why did you use undercoating on the floor pans?

After I marine cleaned everything that I could touch, I used an epoxy based primer first then the undercoating. I guess I could have painted over the primer but I had plenty of undercoating and used what I had. It's bullet proof, weather proof and is basicaly a double dose of sound deadner. When I add the carpet pad ( which has sound deadner and heat sheilding ) I should have a much quieter, cooler ride. I'll apply another coat when it warms up tomorrow.

Pray for a warming trend

Edit ** I'll try to remember the camera tomorrow. I realy want to get started on assembly. Once I have this project complete, my friend and I will begin assembling his 36' Buick. I'll be elbow deep in a wiring harness and routing the plumbing for the short block *gasp* Chevy he installed.