Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cleaning Nuts and Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 01:51 PM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

Default Cleaning Nuts and Bolts

Hey, does anyone have a good idea about cleaning nuts and bolts? I looked at the tumblers but I really did not want to spend that much and I really don't want to have to hold each individual one against my bench grinders wire wheel. How about soaking them in carb. cleaner or some type of metal wash?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:00 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Cleaning Nuts and Bolts

well id go the wire wheel route since u have one but if your not into that y not just buy a master bolt kit?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:12 PM
BakoLuke
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

well id go the wire wheel route since u have one but if your not into that y not just buy a master bolt kit?
+1...but if you just want them to look a little better spray them with brake cleaner or soak them in fuel
Old 12-08-2006, 02:34 PM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

Leave them in a glass jar with vinegar for 24 hours then soak them in any type of mechanical oil you may have laying around.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:38 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

vinegar?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:41 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Go to Home Depot and buy "Phosphoric Plus" (Paint Section) it is a miled phos. acid that cleans any rust and leaves the hardware coated with phosphate. This is like from the factory. Just then coat them with a light oil such as WD-40. And voila, you have phsphate and oil coated hardware.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:28 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Unless you need that "specific" bolt (assuming your not going concours), itd be best to just buy new ones from the local hardware store. Some are specificly made for certain purposes though, so a bench grinder would be good too...
Old 12-08-2006, 03:38 PM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

Ive always used vinegar as it gets rid of the rust and cleans the metal up.

I like the sound of the phosphoric plus im going to see if I can find it at my local hardware store in spain. It sounds good
Old 12-08-2006, 03:38 PM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

Well, not going concours. I would just do the wire wheel but I have a ton of bolts to do. I have taken the whole front end apart to paint and rebuild. I may just try the phosphoric acid or the vinegar?? and see how that goes. And I don't want to have to buy them if the originals are OK, just dirty and a little rusty.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:55 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

The Phosphoric acid is just what you need. I typically clean any oil/grease of the parts by using brake cleaner and a brash wire brush or parts cleaning brush and then let them soak over night in the Phos. Plus. If there is any heavier rust, you may have to brush it off after soaking and let it soak again. Works like a charm.

I too had never heard of the vinegar thing. I think I will give it a shot as well. I would think the only issue there is rust prevention afterwards.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Nuts and Bolts