Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I Dono About The Rest Of You...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 08:56 PM
jes72mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I Dono About The Rest Of You...

In the garage I have an old kitchen table that measures about 28X50. it is just the right height and it has a laminate top. plus I have a couple of rubber pads on top to keep things from slipping.

My workbench in the basement workshop was my great- grandfather's woodworking bench, Basically a 6 foot long, 4X12 solid Oak slab with built in woodworking vise and bench dogs on one end. My grandfather modified it at one point to make it wider and he had it on pipe legs in his basement. When I got it, I built 3 sets of 2x4 legs with a shelf underneath. Let me tell you that thing weighs a ton.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

haha i bet it does....i can pick this one up myself....its hard to move because its so big but still its not that heavy at least....its strong though, i can sit on it and what not....

as for the doors...i was thinking about it but decided to keep this bench $FREE$ (and simple)....i got the wood for free a while back, then the hardware i had lying around from years ago when we built a wall between one of the 3 garage doors to form two rooms........

plus i have a big red craftsman tool box with drawers and stuff to keep stuff....im gonna get some of that board with holes in it to hang stuff from the wall im gonna put this bench against....

do you reecomend mounting it to the wall or to the bench itself?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

It's called peg board, and it is best to mount it on the wall. You are going to have to use 1 X 2 stock to mount it though. Usually, walls have 16" studs, so either get a stud finder or use a small hail to locate the first stud, then measure 16" to the next stud. If it's not there, then try 24" for the next stud. Sometimes, the garages are built with 24" stud spacing. Screw that 1X2 strip to the wall, then mount the peg board to that. That will give you the space behind the peg board to be able to put the little hooks in the peg board. Then you are going to have to buy all the little hooks to stick into the peg board to hold tools and whatnot.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10034/AF3EBBA011AE4B12A5C1AC5F81D6FB68.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-08-2006, 10:46 PM
uni_uni
2nd Gear Member

When i built my work bench i bolted 1/8th inch steel i picked up for close to nothing from a friend, to the top so that i could weld Studs and an andvill for shaping metal with and i bolted my vice to it, it was really a great idea durable and is easy to clean up ect. it was a pain in the *** but it payed off in the end.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uni_uni

When i built my work bench i bolted 1/8th inch steel i picked up for close to nothing from a friend, to the top so that i could weld Studs and an andvill for shaping metal with and i bolted my vice to it, it was really a great idea durable and is easy to clean up ect. it was a pain in the *** but it payed off in the end.

yeah i thought about that but i dont even know where to buy steel at around here really....
Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Got a workbench that is about 25' long, currently full of stuff. Really need to do some housekeeping. it keeps the father in laws monkeys from borrowing my stuff.

Also have a roll around cart, its usually loaded with whatever tools I need for a particular job. Also has rags, brake clean, PB Blaster, and other items like that. And it stores the tape measure, otherwise i cant find the stupid thing.

Most innovative item I have been using is two 55 gallon drums. They are perfect for holding the sandblaster so I can adjust the feed valve, and I can work on doors, hoods, fenders, etc on them. They have worked incredibly nice for sanding the Mustang doors and taking the windows and regulators out of them.

When I rebuild a rear end I use two 6 ton jackstands under each axle tube. it makes it easier to turn it when needed, and bearing/race changes are very easy that way. It also works nice for detailing a rear end, since you can paint the entire circumference.

I have an old wire milk crate to stand on because I am vertically challenged at 5'8", that way I can sand the roof, or work on a truck without getting into it. its also handy for collecting the dirty rags so I can take them to the laundromat..lol. those things arent goin in my washer again.

the tool box has officially been outgrown. I think the 1/2" drive stuff needs to find a new home. The 3/8" and wrenches/vise grips/etc are taking up far too much space.

Inherited an old paint mixing stand from KI Sawyer AFB when it closed, I use it to build carbs, transmissions, and do other things where I need to have a clean solid metal surface. Took me three days to get the dried paint off it. that sucker works great too.

I bet most of you dont have. 1800sq ft of floor space to work with either. my shop is bigger than the first house I bought.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

Nice looking bench their... you guys wanna c a sh__ hole garage?

As soon as the mustang is able to be driven out of the garage their will be a mass cleaning.... its pathetic

[IMG]local://upfiles/37281/BC8FA73EB6104A0DA3F93FE2D2077B03.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37281/77F90C5C10CC4F959D4910DA9C7D493D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37281/59FB289156D7460CB8028DF9C0215467.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-08-2006, 11:30 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

Dont feel bad about your late night spontenity. Last night at 1AM i decided to go for an hour long cruise through Wine Country (beautiful xmas lit wineries and vineyards) just cuz i had some thinking to do. Those are the best moments.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Got a workbench that is about 25' long, currently full of stuff. Really need to do some housekeeping. it keeps the father in laws monkeys from borrowing my stuff.

Also have a roll around cart, its usually loaded with whatever tools I need for a particular job. Also has rags, brake clean, PB Blaster, and other items like that. And it stores the tape measure, otherwise i cant find the stupid thing.

Most innovative item I have been using is two 55 gallon drums. They are perfect for holding the sandblaster so I can adjust the feed valve, and I can work on doors, hoods, fenders, etc on them. They have worked incredibly nice for sanding the Mustang doors and taking the windows and regulators out of them.

When I rebuild a rear end I use two 6 ton jackstands under each axle tube. it makes it easier to turn it when needed, and bearing/race changes are very easy that way. It also works nice for detailing a rear end, since you can paint the entire circumference.

I have an old wire milk crate to stand on because I am vertically challenged at 5'8", that way I can sand the roof, or work on a truck without getting into it. its also handy for collecting the dirty rags so I can take them to the laundromat..lol. those things arent goin in my washer again.

the tool box has officially been outgrown. I think the 1/2" drive stuff needs to find a new home. The 3/8" and wrenches/vise grips/etc are taking up far too much space.

Inherited an old paint mixing stand from KI Sawyer AFB when it closed, I use it to build carbs, transmissions, and do other things where I need to have a clean solid metal surface. Took me three days to get the dried paint off it. that sucker works great too.

I bet most of you dont have. 1800sq ft of floor space to work with either. my shop is bigger than the first house I bought.
Shut up! I'm jealous of your workspace. My bro and I built a 40 X 60 barn at the farm and poured a concrete floor for it. Damn, that was work. But, that barn is at the farm, and I only have a two car garage with a work room here at my hoochie.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MidNite27

Dont feel bad about your late night spontenity. Last night at 1AM i decided to go for an hour long cruise through Wine Country (beautiful xmas lit wineries and vineyards) just cuz i had some thinking to do. Those are the best moments.

i live like 15 or 20 minutes from Napa.

Quick Reply: I Dono About The Rest Of You...