Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

think i blew a head gasket!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 07:09 PM
farrellmotorsports

Default think i blew a head gasket!!!

well i have been working on my interior and finally started my car for the first time in 6 days and this is what i see coming out the tailpipes well needless to say im pretty destrought right now and i believe im looking at a head gasket problem but cant be sure or should i be planning on going for a total rebuild and putting the cover on the rest of the car for the winter...just a little history on the car, 1969 fastback with original 351 windsor 4v, know it was previously rebuilt but cannot attest to quality of rebuild or parts used but i had to replace crappy valve cover gaskets after having the car 2 weeks i have now owned it 2 months...
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...k/DSC00089.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...k/DSC00091.jpg
Old 12-08-2006, 07:32 PM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: think i blew a head gasket!!!

My mustang does that to it spits out a little bit of gas in the exhaust but it doesnt look like that is it a constant drip? cuz mine is like gas that sometimes leaks out in the tailpipe i think,,,,,,
Old 12-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

Can you identify what the liquid is? Water? Coolant? Fuel? Beer spill from late night wrenching? [&:]
Old 12-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

Could it be condensation build up? My truck spits out a butt load of water if it has been sitting for a while and it's cold!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

You are going to get a lot of condensation built up in the exhaust system this time of the year. Most likely that is all that it is unless it smokes constantly. A blown head gasket will let water in the exhaust system and come out the tailpipe as a white smoke, not the bladk stuff you see. Your oil rings are probably worn some, and the engine is burning a little oil. That oil gets into the exhaust system, then mixes with the condensation overhight, and you get that oily/watery black crap when you forst start it up. So, take the car out and get it up to operating temp and keep it there for a few miles. Then come back to the house and rev it up on that concrete and see what you get. You may also need to adjust your carb to a little leaner setting.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:10 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

nah i doubt u have a blown head gasket a couple of ways to check are to remove the coolant cap(while the motor is cool) start the car if it gushes out then its blown

does it look like a milkshake in the oil?
in the coolant?
is it overheating?
if it really bothers u ucan do a collant pressure check autozone has a loan a tool to pressurize the coolant system if it bellds off then there might be a problem this also let u check for bad hoses small hole in the radiator while the motor is cool
Old 12-09-2006, 12:43 AM
farrellmotorsports

it was a real white smoke coming from it when all this was happenin with a smell of more oil than exhaust fumes...and yeah i already checked the coolant sorry i forgot to add that earlier i hate to say it but my baby has blown a gasket...it was a mix of coolant water and oil spitting from her, she has also been real tempermental as far as cooling goes lately and like i said i didnt build the engine so, and the one i did build a 4.9 300 for my 1980 f100 my dad bought new ive never had a problem with it so i just wanted to make sure i was correct in my head gasket assumptions...well thanks, i think im pickin her from the car tommorow and gonna spend the winter doing a rebuild the right way not half assin it like the last guy...
Old 12-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, it sounds like you have identified a blown head gasket.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:31 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

Just a suggestion, but if it were mine I'd have it checked by someone with a "sniffer" to see if it has combustion gasses in the coolant. Any good shop should be able to do the test.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

or you could just replace the head gasket they are not to expansive my 289 gaskets are $18

Quick Reply: think i blew a head gasket!!!