Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

exhaust cut outs

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:43 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

Default exhaust cut outs

whats your opinion on exhaust cut outs? i think it would be pretty bad to roll up beside somebody at a stoplight and open them up, im pretty sure they would go deaf
Old 12-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust cut outs

My 302 is running open headers I like it, excpecially like it at idle. Starting it up or revving it up sets off the car alarms in my driveway when im in the garage. I cant wait till spring, ill drive through the mall parking lot and see how many i can set off. -Jon
Old 12-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Gun Jam

Im still workings on my electric cutouts, some projects just take forever I guess but im very close to having a viable solution. In fact I have a complete prototype that is fully functional and ready for a hot test but I got busy with school. Winter break is almost here though, the only other problem I have is that I have actually come up with an even better design that uses most of the old design but has a better vent system that is less prone to failure and more robust, its just a matter of building it (winter break).

My goal for the month I have off is to update my prototype and install it and test it!

Wish me luck

Gun
Old 12-09-2006, 02:47 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i was thinkin bout makin some or makin them vaccum opperated
Old 12-09-2006, 03:04 AM
Gun Jam

Go for it man

You’ll find that there is a huge deal of issues to work out if you want them to be leak free. I have never seen such a "simple" project become so complicated; it’s a lot of fun though.

Gun
Old 12-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

well its just the fun of owning a classic
Old 12-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Mustang friend

Most of the vacuum or cable operated one either leak or jam. The old wing nut type work best but you do have to climb under and open them, a pain in the ...back.
Hopefully you can come up with a system that can be opened while driving that heat and road debri doesnt damage.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Back in the day......we welded a pipe on the main exhaust pipe in front of the muffler, and that pipe exited out the side of the car right behind the front wheels. All we used was a cable like a manual choke cable, and when we pulled that cable ****, the little gate that kept the pipe shut opened and the one to the muffler closed. It was crude, but worked.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Gun Jam

who's car was this on now?????
Old 12-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

It was on my 51 ford flat head V8. We brazed a metal cup on the carburetor, and just before we raced it, we put ice in that metal cup to keep the carb from boiling the gas. Those were fun days, and we didn't have a lot of money for fancy things.

Quick Reply: exhaust cut outs