Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

**** maaco!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2006, 12:32 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: **** maaco!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: bradleyb

could be a couple of things - poor surface prep in that you have foreign material on the surface and could also be that you have some chemical issues which would again be surface prep if they didn't get the sealer coat right.....so I would say that these types of issues would squarely fall under the heading of "prep and paint".
+1 on a chemical reaction

somebody did something wrong......i do blame maaco for not doing the proper steps....

however the crack isnt that you went to maaco.......so what if maaco is cheap.....they just use cheaper materials...that doesn't mean a crack....this could have happend at any auto body shop....however maaco will tell you to go pound sand while the PROs auto shops might just fix it for you....
Old 12-10-2006, 12:46 AM
david01130
4th Gear Member

so is it the bondo I used?

he said they used a lot of sealer to try to cover up the laquer checks. Do you think that might have something to do with it?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:54 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

i dont think its the bondo that you used.....i think it is what they did maybe had a reaction with the bondo.....was there any primer applied before they painted it ? You shouldnt have to pay for there mess up....they should fix it.....what type of warrenty did maaco offer ???
Old 12-10-2006, 02:14 AM
david01130
4th Gear Member

i dont know if there is any warranty or anything but Ill talk to them monday and see what they did. It looks like they did very little sanding if at all and probably missed a prep coat. I found a little chip when I brought the car their so i paid extra for them to fix that chip and any other chip they might find. They didnt fix anything and even made more chips in the paint so I am positive ill be able to get my money back for that or have them fix it. Ill see what they say monday
Old 12-10-2006, 02:22 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: david01130

i dont know if there is any warranty or anything but Ill talk to them monday and see what they did. It looks like they did very little sanding if at all and probably missed a prep coat. I found a little chip when I brought the car their so i paid extra for them to fix that chip and any other chip they might find. They didnt fix anything and even made more chips in the paint so I am positive ill be able to get my money back for that or have them fix it. Ill see what they say monday

Considering how bad they did on the paint job is "have them fix it" even an option for you? I'd only let them butcher my car once.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:32 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

Very good point.....i would just take the money and run.....but they might not give you all it back or any of it.....but let us know what happens
ORIGINAL: Halz5

ORIGINAL: david01130

Considering how bad they did on the paint job is "have them fix it" even an option for you? I'd only let them butcher my car once.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:24 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford65stang

Very good point.....i would just take the money and run.....but they might not give you all it back or any of it.....but let us know what happens

I really wouldn't expect maaco to give any money back, i'm sure they have been through this with 100's of customers and have learned how to deal with it without dishing out any money.

Thats the thing to love about small time body shops, they run off word of mouth mostly and actually have to do a quality job. Easier to sue them too lol
Old 12-10-2006, 11:12 AM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

I had MAACO paint my car this summer. I had stripped all the paint off and did the body work. It cost 2300 as I had them prime and paint the car. Jamming was extra too because of a color change. It came out OK with a couple of runs. A friend of mine is going to fix the runs and buff it out this summer. I did not have any problems with the paint over my body work.
Walt
Old 12-12-2006, 12:05 AM
david01130
4th Gear Member

So I went by there today. Asked him a few questions. I asked him why the cracks were showing and he said they were bondo cracks and then asked him why they were showing on places where I didnt do any body work and he said it is probably because of old bondo under the old paint. I also asked him about the cracks and he didnt know why or where they came from and that they would never intentionally do that. So I asked him why he didnt fix them when I paid extra for them to be fixed and he couldnt really give me a good enough answer. He said they did the best they could do but I told him it looks as if there are more chips than how I brought it to him. He said the was 100% sure there would be less chips then before.

There were also more what he called "laquer checking" but I am positive it is not. There are some areas where there is laquer checking but most areas is just what looks like a heavy sealer coat like they said they did. It just did not come out smooth. He also said they only put sealer coat on and no primer. He said the sealer is pretty much a primer but it jsut comes out smoother.

He offered to strip jsut the tops of the car for $600 plus any extra bondo repair work that they find. I just told them to shoot under the hood (which they didnt because they ran out of paint) and Ill take it.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:36 AM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

There could be some issues where the chemical in the primer/paint/clear reacted with the chemicals in the bondo but I suspect that the issues are with the bondo and not the chemical reaction. My sense is that you have too much hardener in the bondo - this can make it crack too. Usually the bondo cracking that I have seen resulted from the bondo being put on too thick (it kinda contracts in on itself and cracks like ground when it gets really dry) or they put too much hardener in the bondo. I tend to be a bit finicky on the bondo pieces and puts several really thin layers to achieve the result - takes alot more time but I have never had bondo crack on anything I have done

really hard to tell without good pics to see

I say do it yourself if you have the time - body and paint work is not hard, its just hard work. Get 2 guns (primer gun, paint gun), a DA, the Husky compressor from homedepot for $429 (11 CFM) and some hand tools ................................

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: **** maaco!!!!!!!