Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

front end help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 04:16 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default RE: front end help

ive ive read up on hitting the joints with a hammer before. im going to use a chain and drop it down through the spring to hold onto it incase you know what happens. sweet65 did you use an internal compressor?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:16 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

is the disc conversion difficult?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:29 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Ther are articles about with spring removal procedures. Easy if you follow direction and are cautious. Dangerous if not.

Also article around about removing spindle. You do not need a pickle fork for this. You just give the spindle a good rap with a sledge around teh ball joint shaft and it will release. It is the scock that separates the two. Find the article and read it. There is a technique/order to disassemble, so stuff is not dropping out on your toes.

You do not need to remove the pitman arm, as the pitman arm and center link are typically non wear items. Only replace if you have obvious elongating of the holes etc. (i.e. the inner tie rod just slips out)

Tie rod removal I find to be easier with a pickle fork. It can actually be done the same way as the spindles, but I do not have a lift and there is not ot much room to swing a hammer under the car. So I use a combination. Bang the PF into the joint til nice and tight, then rap with the sledge. Again, only hit the female peice around the shaft. Idler arm is same method as well.

I literally am in the process of this. Just removed my second spindle this am. Other than the above two issues, it is straight disassembly and rebuild. Just read up a little and procede in order. You can do it.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:38 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

coda great advice thank you...i have been on google all morning trying to find a technique/order to disassemble. have not yet found a good article
Old 12-09-2006, 10:14 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

disc conversion is easy just follow the instrutions. I did mine in a few hours. I used the interal spring compresser from autozone just make sure it is in good condition before you use it the external ones are not ment to be used on these springs and can slip off easily.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:13 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

when smackin the joints to get them loose, hit the cast iron part, not the threaded part nor the joint itself. if you just smack the top of the threads you will screw up the threads and possibly mushroom the end so it wont fit out the hole. i have had to dut enough of them off when some brain donor did exactly that.

just smack the spindle on the round part around the shaft, with abit of pressure they tend to pop right out. I havent used a pickle fork in some time.

Another thing you can do is use two hammers, use the one as a drift holding it against the spindle, then smack it with the other hammer. Works good for tight spots.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:27 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Check this out......

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar.../photo_08.html
Old 12-09-2006, 11:28 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Better link to begining..

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...nsion_install/
Old 12-09-2006, 11:31 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Disc brake conversion:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...isc_brake_kit/
Old 12-10-2006, 03:07 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

eZ, I just bought the full kit from LMM and will be doing this soon too. Good luck on the front end job. Trusting your life on the compresser should be the hardest part...

Quick Reply: front end help