Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

69 Master Cylinder Brake Help ASAP plz

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:27 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

Default 69 Master Cylinder Brake Help ASAP plz

lol my freind doesnt have a ride home unless this car gets put back together.

Ok i'm replacing my master Brake Cylinder, and i dont have enough room to remove it so i have to take out the whole brake booster assembly. I got the 1 Bolt undone on the firewall and have yet to do the 4 under the dashboard. My main hold up is the pin etc. crap inside. Is it just a little locking pin, or does something else have to come out? We thought we got it but now the clutch is completley disengaged, lol help?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:47 PM
stang6790

Default RE: 69 Master Cylinder Brake Help ASAP plz

You shouldn't have to remove the whole assembly. You should be able to just loosen up the brake booster some and that will let it move enough to get the master cylinder off of the booster.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:43 AM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

Well i got it all in and done. Everythings put back, new cylinder is in. I bled the rear brakes like 3 times but still have absolutley no brakes at all. I have front discs, how do i bleed those and do i have to?

PS. If its the little nub on the top of the caliper with the rubber tip i tryed that and couldnt get it loose.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:07 AM
stanging
2nd Gear Member

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? If not you will need to bleed the front brakes also. On the bleeder valve that won't come open, spray it with WD-40 or some other and use a 6-point socket to try to brake it loose, you can also use a propane torch to heat it up, but be careful if using the torch.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Yes, you need to bleed the front brakes. There should be a bright nipple toward the top of caliber. Looks a lot like the rear bleeders.
ORIGINAL: MidNite27

Well i got it all in and done. Everythings put back, new cylinder is in. I bled the rear brakes like 3 times but still have absolutley no brakes at all. I have front discs, how do i bleed those and do i have to?

PS. If its the little nub on the top of the caliper with the rubber tip i tryed that and couldnt get it loose.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 AM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

I'll give it a try in the morning. Thanks all.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

I've been bleeding the brakes for ever now, and they still feel spongey. I didnt bench bleed the cylinder. So now what, just keep on bleeding them? lol i'm running out of brake fluid and need to buy a new bottle now.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:41 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Boosted brakes won't ever feel solid (as compared to manual brakes anyway). Does the pedal go to the floor? Do the brakes grab quickly or lightly? How is the fluid looking when it comes out? Dirty? Has the new fluid worked its way out the bleed screws? Lotsa bubbles? If there are bubbles still coming out, you may have another leak in the system causing problems. Make sure to use a clear tube to bleed the brakes so you can see bubbles. I use aquarium tubing from Wal-Mart. It's the right size for the larger bleed screws. Also, you are closing the bleed screw when the pedal is being allowed to come up from the floor, right? I've had good luck without doing this, but you'll get a better bleed if you close the screw.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:47 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

We are properley bleeding the brakes, the fluid is clear now, we dont see much bubbles. The pedal goes to the floor when the car is running and u have to pump it up to get brakes, which means u are compressing the air in the lines resulting in braking power. So i guess it just takes ALOT of brake bleeding if you dont bench bleed the master when u reinstall it. Anyone else confirm this?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

I can confirm going through over a quart of brake fluid bleeding my drum brakes after I replaced the hoses. Of course, I was also flushing out all of the old, old fluid in the lines and cylinders, and I found a leaking wheel cylinder after I finished flushing the lines, which meant I had to bleed them all over again after replacing the wheel cylinder. At least the brakes feel solid now.

Quick Reply: 69 Master Cylinder Brake Help ASAP plz