Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My first time.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 05:28 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My first time.

ORIGINAL: Guitylerham

I would like to know if the spindles and suspension were in fact upgraded as well. He said he bought the car for his daughter to drive but she prefered their honda instead. So that would mean he had decent trust in the integrity of the car to let his daughter drive it. He had several engine blocks in various stages of assembly in his garage as well as two other older trucks so he was a mechincally minded person at least. The trunk didn't sit perfectly flush, nor did the but he said that it was a used hood. He said he used a cheapo hat cowl repair on the driver side but the cowl still leaks just a little. The risk I'm taking is that this woudl be my daily driver. I am 21 the logical route would be to keep my subaru instead. But I want to live life and make my own mistakes! I hope that makes sense to people. Maybe I will get my dad to go look at it with me again. Thanks for your advice so far. I'm reconsidering this deal.

Go for it, being young is the best time to be dumb. I'm 20 and have 2 classics and 1 regular car with a one car (13 by 15) garage.

However i would definitely look into the cowl leaking and get it fixed right away... its only going to get worse
Old 12-10-2006, 05:50 AM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I had an interesting thought on cowl repair. I read somewhere that the front fenders can be removed, then the ends of the cowl can be split open on three sides leaving the top as a hinge. What if some sort of tray could be made that would slide all teh way in from either edge and center right below the grille on teh top of teh cowl. So any water entering the grill woudl collect into this tray, then somewhere in teh bottom of the tray, some drain tubes could lead outside of the cowl in the fender areas. The tubes woudl of course have to always flow downward, and I'd try and keep the grille cover on most of the time to eliminate debris in the tray. This probably seems pretty hoaky but I'm trying to brainstorm a way to completely bypass the rusty hats altoghter until I can correctly repair them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/33020/E82DBBAA4E594F3B95F6871123B1E65A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-10-2006, 06:32 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

They make covers that go over the grills... i dont like the look of them but you could get them until you can get it fixed the right way.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:27 AM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

So that would mean he had decent trust in the integrity of the car to let his daughter drive it
Or is that what he wants you to think? You have to check everything out or get an independent mechanic to look at it.

Im 21 too and in my 3 years of driving I started with a 91 V8 Range Rover Vogue SE then decided to be sensible and buy 01 Volkswagen Golf which was a very nice car but didnt have what I keep calling x-factor so I went back to Land Rover and got a Defender and rebuilt it to my spec including putting a V8 in it and now im about to buy a 65, 66 or maybe 67 Mustang. So I say go for it regardless of any other factors, you want it get it.

You mentioned you want it in blue, wait for a blue one then. Dont rush it youll on only regret it.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

If you're mechanicaly inclined and have the tools, space to work and time to do it, why not get one that needs a little more work cosmeticaly and do it your self.

You could still drive the car while you did the work - right up until it was time for final prep / spray of paint. Or go the other route and get one that needs mechanical work. You'd be spending a little less up front ( I just sold a 67' coupe that needed a few panles and some minor mechanical work for 2k) and repair as you can.

If you're looking for a turn key ride for 8k or so, it's going to be tough. I'd just get a driver that is not completely gone and make it what you have always wanted ( by your words, a dream car ). You have a daily dependable driver in the car you have. It sounds like you're perfect for a project.

IMO, of course.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:40 AM
rlbjrcpa
1st Gear Member

If it's in decent shape and the price is fair to you, then you should go for it. When I was looking, I dragged out making a decision on a couple and ended up missing out. Good Mustangs seem to go fast
Old 12-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I wouldn't consider selling mine for less than 11K, and that car appears to be as in the same shape as mine. 85 hundred is a fair price.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:25 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Ya only live once.. First car was a 67 Cougar, still have it and its been almost 25 years since the first day I saw it. Its been 20 since I last drove it, and that has bothered me more than you can imagine. There is nothing like the older rides, as long as you dont have a rusted out hulk with electrical problems and fluids dripping everywhere.

if I had the cash, that car would already be gone. I have the same amount in the fastback in my avatar, and it still looks like my avatar... lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

THere in lies the problem: I'm still at home going to college, and I dont' really have a garage to work on it all the time. I am mechanically inclined though. I love to build and fix and design so I'm not worried about that.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:01 PM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

I would go for it.....It sounds like the guy built it right.....and it seems like he knows what he is doing. If you dont have space like you said to work on it all the time....This one is ready....

And in a couple of years, you can upgrade the brakes or anything esle...then a few years later you can always paint it blue. Its a good deal. Go for it.

Quick Reply: My first time.