Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

rear disk brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM
smbikes
3rd Gear Member

Default rear disk brakes

my gf dad has a 70 mach 1 mustang and wants to put rear disk brakes , is there any cars that you can switch them out or something?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: rear disk brakes

1977-80 Lincoln Versailles....but he will need to get the entire rear end. That will also come with a 9" pumpkin. Here is a "How-To."
http://www.geocities.com/cping3/lincolnversailles.html
Old 12-10-2006, 07:35 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Check this also:

rear disk brakes
Old 12-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

heres another way, copy and pasted from another forum:
OK,
heres a list of what to look for if you want to do this swap.
You'll need a 91-95 Town Car, Crown Vic, or Grand marqui.

You'll want everything from the axle tube out. This swap will work on the small bearing 8" and 9" rears.. If you want the big bearing stuff look for a Ford Exploder.

I started by removing the rear diff cover. You'll need a 13mm socket for those bolts. You'll see why you need to remove the rear cover later.

Next you have to remove the 8mm bolt that holds in the diff pin. I have no idea what the tech term is for that part. Once the big pin is removed you should be able to push in on the axles and remove the C-clips that hold the axles in.

I then started working on the calipers and everything behind the wheels.
You'll need a T40 Torx to remove the calipers. If you dont know what a torq is please put down the wrench and step away from the car...
This will allow you to remove the calipers from the car.

With the Calipers off the car you should be able to remove the rotors. If you can't make sure the e-brake is off.. Dont ask how I figured this one out.. oops

With the rotors off pull the axles out. Really easy with the C-clips removed. Not like the 8" axles where you'll need a slide hammer to pull them. This also why you removed the rear Diff cover.. See I'm saving some of you some headaches...

You should be able to reomve the E-brake set up now.
First thing I did was use a 10mm socket and remove the ABS sensor from each backing plate/ E-brake set up.

There are 4 bolts per side holding the E-brake set-up to the axle tubes. You'll need a 14mm socket and 14mm wrench to unbolt everything.
Once everything is un-bolted you should have everything you need.

I removed the E-clips and left the E-brake cables with the car. I was tired of laying in the mud and didnt want to crawl back underneith the car to try and unbolt all the brackets that attach the E-brake cables to the car.

Its an interesting system though. the Pass side cable run across the axle and up the drivers side. Making for some very long cables..

I want to try and modify my stock 63 cable with the Crown vic Cable ends and use that for an e-brake.

You'll also need to fab up a spacer ring to properly install these brakes.
You can try and contact the company that sells the kits and see if they will sell just the rings or makes some.. I have a link that explains the swap in more detail for those of you who want it. ask and i'll post it.

Nathan
Old 12-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

one more important part

From what I've read You'll need a spacer that has the same O.D. as the bearing of your axle. Either 2.835" or 3.15".
The thickness can be anything as long as it doesnt interfere with the bearing or seal.
the width you'll need to make up for the slop is .130"

With out the use of the spacer your axles will slide side to side everytime you take a corner.

For more cool info plus how to install the e-brake cables.. check out this site http://lists.twistedpair.ca/pipermai...er/037502.html

Nathan