Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Black is Black?? Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 10:03 PM
mustang141

Default Black is Black?? Paint question

Hi, I have had my 68 fastback in the body shop for the last 6 months doing a total restoration ... yea just a shell right now but all the body work is finally done and its time to have it painted. I told the shop I wanted it black so they have been making sure the body work is flawless .. which it looks to be. No skimping there .. all the rust was cut out and new parts replaced. Got the Lizard Skin sprayed on so should be great. They are ready to paint now and heres my question ... is black black. That is are there varying degrees of black? Should I get a metallic put into the black? Should I get it kinda Jade black ... like real dark green black. I'm kinda at a loss here. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-10-2006, 10:13 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Black is Black?? Paint question

What you need to do is check out the chip books at a few places that sell paint. Then you can pick the color of black you like best. yes there are varying degrees of each color in the spectrumn. Women try to say men only see about 6 or 8.

Just the different shades of red are enough to make you dizzy. Check out the chips... you will be able to find the perfect color, unless you just want it a simple black and dont care if it has metallics or pearls (etc) in it.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

If you see a modern vehicle with a color you like on it, you can call the dealeership and ask them. Then take that color name and have your paint people match it. ( working with a paint and body man that's done it all his life, I'm starting to catch on a little.)

Also, if you can find a color you like, take a Digital pic of it or try to get a chip of it, you can then have your paint people match it that way. Technology has come a long way and matching paint colors is as easy as clicking enter on a software program now. It's literaly that easy if you have a good sample.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:50 PM
69boss429
2nd Gear Member

Raven Black,stockFord color,black jade is green ,uck
ORIGINAL: mustang141

Hi, I have had my 68 fastback in the body shop for the last 6 months doing a total restoration ... yea just a shell right now but all the body work is finally done and its time to have it painted. I told the shop I wanted it black so they have been making sure the body work is flawless .. which it looks to be. No skimping there .. all the rust was cut out and new parts replaced. Got the Lizard Skin sprayed on so should be great. They are ready to paint now and heres my question ... is black black. That is are there varying degrees of black? Should I get a metallic put into the black? Should I get it kinda Jade black ... like real dark green black. I'm kinda at a loss here. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance

[IMG]local://upfiles/25247/3F59B5B8382B4F22B2873240D551C730.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Agreed.....Raven Black is most likely the best color of black for a classic Mustang.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Gun Jam

Good point about the color match bulldog, too bad about 98% of modern vehicles (not counting white which is already dull by its self) are painted in the dullest yucky colors the factory could think of. There are hardly any pure colors out there. Most look like they started as pure colors (like a bright green, yellow, red, blue) then about a 1 to 3 ratio of brown was added to them and sprayed on the car.

Gun
Old 12-11-2006, 12:22 AM
roush69stang

hey there. Black is definatly not just black: A few of the manufactures use blacks with just a black tint to them, seems to be the case with GM stuff. Ford and Chrysler have varying amounts of blue in the formula which appear to make them 'deeper'. Some foreign brands even have white in the black. I do like mettalics in the black and it gives you the oppurtunity to do something your not gonna see in everyparking lot, but good luck matching an ice pearl over black paint job down the road if repairs are needed. Ihave tried and I never am happy with the results, I would stay with a factory or color map color.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:25 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Oil Spill Black haha
Old 12-11-2006, 05:18 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

lol
ORIGINAL: baddog671

Oil Spill Black haha
Old 12-11-2006, 10:58 AM
farrellmotorsports

this reminds me of that movie spinal tap "its like how much blacker could this get, exactly none, none blacker" or somethin like that...for 65-68 i believe the best cars out there are the raven black fastbacks with the brighter red interiors...just my 2 cents, i think i would go classic and go for the raven black...

Quick Reply: Black is Black?? Paint question