Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Classic Mustang Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 02:00 PM
rlbjrcpa
1st Gear Member

Default Classic Mustang Repairs

Maybe it's just because I am an accountant by day playing the part of a Mustang mechanic nights and weekends, but it really seems like every project I have tackled end up being more difficult than I planned it to be.

My new way to budget time for repairs is to take the number of hours I initially think it will take and multiply by 4 - that usually gets me close.

But I have to say that no matter how long it takes, it's great to be able to say I did it myself!

Old 12-11-2006, 02:02 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Classic Mustang Repairs

Is that not the fun part of owning a stang....I know what you mean, i can only work on mine at the weekend in daylight so it take weeks to get things done, espically if i have not brought the right tool with me
Old 12-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Grimm
2nd Gear Member

You can't rush these kinds of things. Expect it to take forever! I'm estimating on about a year to get mine done. Fortunatelty my wife doesn't go into the garage!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:12 PM
stangimgood
2nd Gear Member

it took about 8 months of 8-9 hour days to get my wifes to a point that i felt she could drive it without having to call for help....now i have to do the body work!!!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:23 PM
jes72mustang
2nd Gear Member

I am the same way. I work at a desk 9 hours a day. Evenings and weekends I only get to work on the mustang when my little ones are napping, in bed for the night or my wife is home and isn't bugging me to get other things done. I have found that taking tasks in little steps helps to not get overwhelmed. Plan the project carefully then take it in babysteps.

If I am lucky I will have mine done in about 3 years.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:34 PM
rlbjrcpa
1st Gear Member

Sounds like there are lots of us in this boat.

One thing I learned real quick is to not tackle more that one thing at a time. When I first got my car, I came up with about 10 projects I wanted to complete and started planning all of them. Even went so far as to buy some parts. Big mistake - I started to feel very overwhelmed at the size of my list. I now focus on enjoying what my Mustang has instead of always being in repair / restore mode. When I want to do a project, I pick a project off my list , plan it out and finish it before starting a new one.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rlbjrcpa

Sounds like there are lots of us in this boat.

One thing I learned real quick is to not tackle more that one thing at a time. When I first got my car, I came up with about 10 projects I wanted to complete and started planning all of them. Even went so far as to buy some parts. Big mistake - I started to feel very overwhelmed at the size of my list. I now focus on enjoying what my Mustang has instead of always being in repair / restore mode. When I want to do a project, I pick a project off my list , plan it out and finish it before starting a new one.
+1

I'm in the same boat buddy. Hospital work, 4 - 12 hour shifts and 2 - 8 hour shifts a week and on top of that I am building a Financial Planning/Consulting business.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:26 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Ive had mine for about 4 years and have made little progress mainly becuase Im just now getting the money/transportation/ knowledge/ etc. to do anything. But I'm in college, so I have no money anyways. Mine doesnt run though, so I cant enjoy it while its being restored till its finished, so I get no short term rewards to my efforts[:'(]
Old 12-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Just don't get behind. I have found that by fixing something that is broken when it breaks is the best way to not get behind. Even after you guys get yours "finished" it will never be finished. I repair/fix/wash/polish/paint something almost every day.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:39 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

It always takes time. Much more than you think even after you add the 4 hours. Nature of the beast..

As long as I can stay working and keep the firewood rolling in, June 1 2007 is my finish date for the Cougar at least, and if I get the infusion of cash i am expecting shortly, the Mustang could possibly be done in June as well. Unlike most of you, I dont have to work one job, then come home and do this, but I think you guys are better off in some ways.. lol. It still takes a while but I have learned not to plan how much it will take, I just go do it and dont worry about the time. get what you can done and keep moving. Small bits here and there keep you motivated and interested.. of course I need two projects or more to keep me interested..lol.

Quick Reply: Classic Mustang Repairs