Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Assembly - day 1.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default Assembly - day 1.

And guess what? no pics! ( I forgot the camera IN the truck and the battery was dead.)

What a **** poor day. It just started wrong and never got better.

The wife and I frequent a local coffee shop in the mornings as we head to town/work, etc. This morning, I needed to get some stuff out of the barn ( front kick pnls, misc other assembly stuff.) so that meant she would be long gone by the time I got to the coffee house. So I thought...

As I pull thru the light near the coffee house, I see a cop car with the lights on - no biggie, I'll just swing around them and get in line for coffee. As I make the corner ( mind you, I'm not even looking for my wife because she left the property some 20 mins before me ) I swing behind the cop and make my move around them, as I do, there sits my wife in front of the cop car. I had to double take because I was realy not expecting her to be there. I started laughing right away, for whatever reason seeing her there just made me laugh. I knew everyone was ok, no wreck, etc...

Apparently, she didn't stop for a school bus ( she says the lights were yellow as she went by ). Never the less, she was issued a citation for such. lol.

So, that was the start.

I get to the shop and start getting ready to take the car to the stereo shop, do so only to be a little frustrated by the time I leave from there. I was under the impression that what I purchased came with installation. That's what I asked when I bought the system. 4 speakers and a head unit that would handle MP3, etc.

I was told it'd be another 150 bucks for install. Not that I didn't have the money, however, that's not what we agreed on. Besides that, I had other errands I had to run as I had it all set up that way. I told the fella there to forget the install. I'd just do it. I mean, damn, how friggin hard is it to install a stereo and 4 speakers in a 66 Mustang. It's not like there's a rats nest of electronics he had to fish wires thru and the interior was all out of the way save the drivers seat, for gods sake.

So, I cancle one errand in the morning, thinking I could get the install out of the way atleast. As we start to install the package tray, the holes in the new tray don't even remotely come close to the holes in the metal in the car. We have some fabrication...

That takes some time out of the morning. Then, when we get that done, we move to the front kick panles only to find out that the speakers are too deep and I have to return them for a thinner set. Even with a thinner set, I had to make a spacer so they'd fit.

I cancle the afternoon appt. I'm fustrated now. I get all the wires ran, all speakers in place and start the final parts of wiring. I get the rear hooked up, no biggie. I start on the front and I can't get any sound. I adjusted the balance and fade many times and nothing. I can't find any kind of navigation to adjust from 2 to 4 channles. So, I can only assume it's the head unit.

Now I'm pretty frustrated.

Tomorrow, my daughter has an appt before school. so, most of the morning is gone before I can get with the stereo shop on the head unit. That puts me behind yet again.

I'm just about done. I mean, I got carpet and seats FFS!! Just get the damn head unit working.

/sigh.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Assembly - day 1.

Ah, the beauty of restoring a Mustang
Old 12-11-2006, 09:08 PM
69boss429
2nd Gear Member

I sure am glad my stereo wasn't that hard to install,I just hooked up the 6 collector bolts and ran the 3 inch pipes through the mufflers and out the back.
Now that's what I call music!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/25247/AEF7B430309347469AF7B0F09F932D07.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Tough day. huh? Tomorrow will be better.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:32 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

I did get to drive my car. I guess I can find good in it afterall ;p