Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I need help on pricing please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Lukony

Default RE: I need help on pricing please!

I know for a fact that the engine is orignal except for the radiator and a few other things. Even the blue on it is orignal lol. I really wish I could store it and somehow learn how to rebuild it. I still have about 8 months before I go to college in the fall, but I wouldn't even know where to start and I would need someone to really help me build it. It seems the best option is to sell it to someone who can rebuild it and enjoy it.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Look in some local trading posts and try to get an idea of what they are selling for in your area. A car in that kind of shape here where I live is going to go for more in an area like californina where there is no salt on the roads to rust them out so bad.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:07 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

Well i do agree with all of the guys above...

but just for some knowledge for you.....these old mustangs were known for overheatin.....they all did. Newer types of raditors have sloved these problems.....

you also have black and yellow plates..... which in my book....adds vaule to the car...and if that has the orignal engine in it....It is worth more.

I bet you could sell this for 5k easy if the bottom is rust free. If you have 8 months before college. I would put a for sale sign in it....dont put a price on it...but you can point out to a "suspect" buyer that it has those plates and the orignal engine.....so they know....that you know something about this car....

Because some people out there will see this car as something of good vaule and try to low ball you....you have 8 months to sell it.....so aim to sale it at a higher price and if they dont like it....then get there number and if you dont sale it....you can call them up later.

There will be a few types of buyers.....

1. the guy who wants the orignal mustang (orginal engine), they are harder to find. (highest vaule)

2. the guy who wants a mustang and the black and yellow plates (high value)

3. the guy who is going to change everything on the car (fair value)

4. the guy who doesnt really care about it and just wants a mustang (lowest value)

but i would take soaring suggestion and get the mustang club to come look at it....they can help you out with a better vaule then we can. Also they might spread the word about it or know someone who might want to buy it....

dont get too excited when people show up and want to buy it...you might be willing to let it go for smaller amount just because you want it sold.....

anouther thing they (buyers) like to do is "ohh, i cant pay $xxxx.xx right now....but ill give you so much cash right now....dont do it....YOU HAVE 8 MONTHS....and then have them pay 100 or a 500 dollar deposit on it....so you will promise not to sell it until they have a week or so to come up with the extra cash....then if they dont come back in that time limit... you pocket the cash.....but during that time if someone wants to buy it.....get there phone number just in case the orginal guy flakes on you....

then always conter offer....theri offer..... remember its a game....Asking price is never selling price....which means if they say an x amount...then they are willing to pay a little over what they said.... thats why you always ask higher....

well good luck.....and keep us posted on what happens.....
Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

if u got the fender and its matches the rest of the car id put a fresh battery in it spray some starting fluid in the carb and get it to kick over and ask about 3500-4000 grand looks extremely solid
Old 12-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, if it's running and the potential buyer can actually drive it, it will sell much faster for a larger amount of money.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:31 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

errrggghhhh don't sell it, you'll regret it later......but if you must I hate to even mention this but take some flashy photos, post it on e-bay and some sap will pay more than it's worth for it. Good luck, and hey use some creative marketing.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:49 AM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

I urge you to carefully consider the sentimental value the car has to you and your family and keep the car. You wont get much for it and if you need the money there are other ways to get it, you can always get a job.

Im sure if you speak to your family someone will loan you that money, of course you think selling the car is the easiest and best option and no matter how much we tell you to keep it you wont and youll regret it when youre older.

Also you dont need to know anything about restoring cars if you can wipe yourself you can restore a car. Leave the mechanics to a mechanic if you arent confident and the rest is simply a case of LEGO, take this off put this on polish this clean this no skills required and for example bodywork is easy to learn. Even a way of having a great finish paintjob for only $50 using a roller, sand, roll, sand then buff - using Tremclad/Rustoleum/Brightside paints.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:58 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

+1. Before owning my mustang I never even changed the oil on a car before. (yes you may once again point and lol at me). Now I have done that many times, tuned the carb myself, fixed my washer issue (that was a snap), and other simple tasks. I plan on doing the brake swaps myself, and bulding an engine myself, as well as other stuff. The only things I havn't done are the rear end (took that to a shop cause I didn't have the time) and the exhaust, cause well my wife did it as a gift. So as far as working on the car it's mostly a DIY thing.

As far a school, I went to college (for a while) and there is always ways to get money. Sell blood, plasma, other bodily fluids. Get a student loan, get a job, join the military (did that too, after I went to school though), beat up kids for their lunch money (no wait, that doesnt really work in college)

My point is this, YOU WILL REGRET IT, at some point in your life, then you will probably want to buy another mustang, and you probably will, AND you'll pay twice as much as you got for selling the mustang anyway. And also say you do get 5000-8000 bucks for it, that's not even a semester these days is it??
Old 12-13-2006, 12:23 PM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

beat up kids for their lunch money (no wait, that doesnt really work in college)
Ahh it works better in college they have more money!

My point is this, YOU WILL REGRET IT, at some point in your life, then you will probably want to buy another mustang, and you probably will, AND you'll pay twice as much as you got for selling the mustang anyway. And also say you do get 5000-8000 bucks for it, that's not even a semester these days is it??
Exactly and whats more you may buy another one but you will probably never get the same one back and if you do it will be tainted.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:09 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

Quick Reply: I need help on pricing please!