Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Shelby GT500 vs 06 Roush Mustang Video Clip

Old 12-13-2006, 02:41 PM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

Default Shelby GT500 vs 06 Roush Mustang Video Clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq06eUNlyzI

Clarkson races the two in his latest movie "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" which is all about comparing US cars to European cars. Obvious who wins most of the time but he does love the mustang, the c06 and the gt 40.

Also races a Range Rover against a hummer and an escalade up a mountain, again, obvious what wins! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqZ95G5pvws

He also says in the movie that the biggest problem with american cars after their lack of cornering ability is that they are made to last 3 years to fit in with the US disposable culture, thats why theyre so cheap.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:46 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby GT500 vs 06 Roush Mustang Video Clip

Great movie....Thanks for the link.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:08 PM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

ok that first movie i have a small problem with.

1) he says the 07 gt500 has a 4.6 with a supercharger doing 475 (i think?). no it doesnt it has a 5.4 with at least 500
2) he keeps says shelby mustang....im sry that just bugs me its a cobra damnit!
3) shelby did change the suspension in the gt 500. the diamiter of the stabilizer bars are larger
4) i wanna say the brakes are at least a inch bigger but im not sure

cool vid but those just bugged me
Old 12-13-2006, 11:24 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

cool vid, too bad hes an america hater.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

man you guys get so defensive when Clarkson drives one of your cars. Face the reality that you dont, as a rule, have either the build quality or the handling of the top European cars. Neither do you have the price tags. Note also that he bags the same crap out of Australian cars (the Pontiac GTO for example) for the same reasons and every other nation including England and the rest of Europe for anything boring, underpowered, poor quality or bad handling.

bear in mind he is
1) an entertainer and
2) can and does find fault with any car.

on that vid, he's loving the GTA for what it is...fast in a straight line and making all the right noises. But its a simple fact that 400+hp on 4 wheel drums and live axle leaf rear will perform like a vial of fertiliser on a race track.

He loves the Roush (which he notes is giving him a hard on) and is probably right on the money with the Shelby. Not because its an inferior product, but simply a convertible. Do Roush build a vert? I can guarantee you he'd be saying the exact opposite in a Roush vert vs a Shelby full roof. I am not sure how they get hold of these cars, but it should have been a shelby with a lid on it.

great vid Spanish
Old 12-14-2006, 12:21 AM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

considering land rover AND jaguar are owned by ford, im not surprised the landrover won, they are awsome and the escalade and h2 are just overpriced pimp mobiles
Old 12-14-2006, 02:52 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dcohen

considering land rover AND jaguar are owned by ford, im not surprised the landrover won, they are awsome and the escalade and h2 are just overpriced pimp mobiles

yeah.....and the escalade really isn't made for climbing mountains.....no stock street SUV is.....

also....it looked like they crashed the escalade into the side of an embankment when there was a road leading to the top and clarkson almost tipped that top heavy land rover....

what was the deal with the H2? looked like someone just parked it and got out and walked away....obviously its not a scientific experiment by any means but thats just kind of ridiculous the unfairness of all that....

and in the end....it sorta seems like America got the last laugh since an American company now owns/makes the "British" SUV......

and also....how does the ability to fill your car up with water really show the overall quality of it....? ive gotta say, i must discredit this show for most all "factual" and unbiased points and just enjoy it for sheer mental stimulation related to cars and the fact British people pronouns things like "escalade" in such fu**ed up ways....
Old 12-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty101Easy

ive gotta say, i must discredit this show for most all "factual" and unbiased points and just enjoy it for sheer mental stimulation related to cars and the fact British people pronouns things like "escalade" in such fu**ed up ways....
precisely old chap...that and the fact that they will take the latest Ferarri to a track and perform circus drifts in it. It's entertainment and their audience now includes a lot of women and guys who arent car fanatics like us. Who cares if the Shelby is a 4.6 or 5.4...it has a lot of snot and goes sideways at the thrust of a right foot.

Would you rather be watching that or Judge Judy?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 AM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

If i can try and offer an unbiased view, considering myself a fan of both European and American Cars....

It is very rare for Clarkson to get a fact wrong, usually his research is impecable.

Yes he is an entertainer but his observations/comments on cars are most often correct and the most respected motoring journalist in Europe if not the world.

Range Rover vs Escalada & H2, maybe the test wasnt scientific but its obvious which one would win, there can be no debate that land rover make the best 4x4's in the world. Yes ford own them now but they are still very much british engineered and designed, also old land rovers were still the best 4x4's.

He loves the mustang new and old, the corvette 06, many other american classic cars and he owns a new gt40. You all have to admit the build quality of most modern american cars are terrible, obviously the water test was just entertainment. My firm belief is that america produced some amazing cars in the olden days but this all finished in the 70's or so, now with the New challenger & charger, mustang and others Im pleased to say I think you yanks maybe having a automotive renaissance.

Many european cars are boring yes but so are many modern american cars, america invented the car and engineered most innovations but as I say after the 70's this died down and europe took over and are getting more hp per litre of engine, better build quality, better design etc But as I say this may be changing now...
Old 12-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

Clarkson is a pompous ***. If he came to the Florida Evergl-AH-des he'd be used for gator bait.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shelby GT500 vs 06 Roush Mustang Video Clip