Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I Knew I Was In Trouble When Mechanic

Old 12-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: I Knew I Was In Trouble When Mechanic

The ball joints and the upper and lower control arms should have grease zerks in them. I they don't, then remove the small bolts and put zerks in them and grease the hell out of them. The rest of the suspension parts do not have them.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:22 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Be carefull though...If you are talking installing zerks in the upper control arms, in the old days the mechanic would leave them on the car and cut holes in the shock tower to get access. They did that to me when I got my first car (69 fastback) about twenty years ago and didn't know any better. Just make sure they are not going to do that.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:52 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

The Cougar didnt have zerks in the original ball joints. I replaced them back in 86, just a few months before I stopped driving it. The uppers are new anyway, and they have zerks now. I distinctly remember not having them before I changed the joints. The lowers are getting replaced though, but not the uppers.

If your ball joints are gone, chances are so are the strut rod bushings. When it gets to that point, why not just rebuild the entire front suspension? you will be happy you did.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:57 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: coda618

Be carefull though...If you are talking installing zerks in the upper control arms, in the old days the mechanic would leave them on the car and cut holes in the shock tower to get access. They did that to me when I got my first car (69 fastback) about twenty years ago and didn't know any better. Just make sure they are not going to do that.
Those damn holes haha, I have them too. Mine are kinda small though
Old 12-14-2006, 12:39 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Why 90 degree fittings rather than straight?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:14 PM
stangimgood
2nd Gear Member

i think i would have trouble letting my wife drive something with 40+ year old parts that have never been lubed!!! about the time would need to avoid an suv like Soaring the front end drops to the road!!! just a thought.....
Old 12-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

My DD has zerks, but my grease gun don't fit on them. [>:]

Darn GM's!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:48 PM
85lebaront2
1st Gear Member

The reason for 90 degree zerks is the upper inner shaft bushings. They are steel with a funny almost rolled thread inside. Once you get them installed the zerk needs to point outward so you can reach it with a grease gun. My 66 Shelby was done that way when I lowered the upper control arms. My 1970 1/2 Falcon SW had the holes cut in it. Lisle, or someone like that used to sell an upper control arm greasing kit for Fords, it had a knurled piece with a zerk in it, a hollow bolt through that piece and a large hypodermic needle to bleed the air past the O-rings on the bushings. You took out the plugs and replaced them with this piece, greased the bushing, removed the tool and replaced the plug. If you can get in there to do it, you can install zerks in the bushings and grease them. Dry bushings are what gives you the characteristic "Ford squeak". On the ball joints, the uppers will either have plugs or zerks in the front or rear openings in the jounce stop covering them, lowers should be on the bottom center. Tie rod ends vary with manufacturer.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:55 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

How do you get those small round plugs out of the bottom?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: unit91

How do you get those small round plugs out of the bottom?
With a wrench.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I Knew I Was In Trouble When Mechanic