Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

POD update

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:16 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Default POD update

Got some work done, it looks like its alot but in reality I am just mocking it up and checking to see if everything will fit before I do the final welding on the splash aprons. If the weather is good tomorrow, I will pull the doors back off, yank the handles and sandblast the jambs and inner structures. Once that is done, i can final weld the aprons because i got them right the first time! YAY ME! Might trot the chassis out and ro the rear wheelwell area and some trunk spots if there isnt snow coming down, the pavement is almost dry from the melting snow. It warmed up to the high 30s low 40s this week.

The doors are the only part I cant move around much, they have a certain place they need to be so everything else stems from them. I cant do final welding on the quarters untill I get the door hinges rebuilt, the bushings are out and I only have one set of hinges. dang it. Before I do the quarters and wheel houses the trunk needs to be cut out and replaced along with the tail light panel. Thats another $200 for sheetmetal that I dont have right now, so its gotta wait. Need to rebuild the front end too, maybe the bills will wait a bit next month so I can get everything for the car I need... lol.

I did get the floor in it, I still need to tip the car or lift the front end up so I can weld the subframes to the floor. I see the difference in 71s and 65-68s in the floor now. Just figured whynot put the floor in because its taking up space in the back of the shop, and it wont hurt anything to be in there anymore anyway. I can roll the car to do the cowl, or maybe I will just seal it off. I havent decided yet. I need the parts to be attached to the car rather than strewn across the shop taking up space. We need to insulate and all the car parts in there make it impossible for the guys to put it up. So rather than have a hundred parts layin around on the floor and leanin against the wall, there will be a car that is mobile to a point so we can work around it and move it out of the way when needed. Maybe then I can have my nice warm shop for a change.. and then paint.. lovely paint.

Paint and body work.. its the stopping point I am at with the Cougar, just need the floorpans to finally come in from back order, its been a while. then I can do the filler, primer and start the long arduous task of blocking the thing untill its flat and waveless just like twiggys hairdoo. (Glen will get it) , it will be nice to block both of them at once, may as well limit the dust by only having it for a month or so, instead of one then the other.. right? once the primer is done then the paint. Cougar first, then Stang. Not sure how I will wetsand it yet, since water tends to freeze here...well still working that issue... I am creative. After that, its a simple matter of putting everything back on the car, like glass, interior, seats, drivetrain, you know all the little stuff. Gotta build two transmissions too. An FMX for the Stang and a C4 for the Cougar. The Cougar will get an AOD sometime later when funds allow it.

it looks like car again! okay well sort of.. like a Leroy Brown sorta car.. once again Glen will get it

[IMG]local://upfiles/14646/4C2EF83C97DB4E4A9BF82FD491EA423E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14646/0A1B96BDEA984F959E8D416C01536116.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14646/D09E0425B7CE46E094C181ACFFA44949.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14646/8F1B0218AE4A48C0B2EC21E8C78F2668.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: POD update, presidential style... lol

I only wish I had the space you do. Well, I guess I do have it but I'd have to convince everyone in my family that the Barn is mine and they need to get their crap out of it. It's 20x40 - cinder block with a metal rool, 2 - 9 ft roll doors and has water, 200 amp electrical and sewage ran to it. I just need a fridge, little coleman stove/grill and a cot Not huge but I can get 2 vehicles and all of my tools + more in there if I could do some fast talking.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:13 AM
72rustang
1st Gear Member

Talk about bringing one back from the dead... you get the gold medal. Can you apply for a new VIN if you replace 90% of the sheet metal? Maybe "R" code for "Resurrected".

If you can rebuild the front end first, maybe you can jack up one end of the car and then the other and set it down on the tires on 4 rampstands. Poor man's lift. I did that for welding the subframes onto the 72, gives you close to 2 feet to work under the car. Not super comfortable but workable. I had already replaced the trunk floor and taillight panel by then and the wheelhouses were good, so I felt the back end of the car was strong enough to jack it up that far off the ground. Just a thought.

If it's cold enough for water to freeze, maybe you can you wetsand with antifreeze or -20* windshield washer fluid. My fingers are getting numb just thinking about that...
Old 12-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Now there's some serious motivation for anyone who's got a project they've been putting off.
Steady as she goes Captain!

Nice work,

Scott
Old 12-15-2006, 06:57 PM
middiepride
2nd Gear Member

okay well sort of.. like a Leroy Brown sorta car.. once again Glen will get it- is it weird that im 16 and i know what youre talking about? "baddest man in the whole damn town..."

Anyways, its lookin good man, keep it up.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:04 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

OOHH...TEACH ME...LOL...IM HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE LINING UP MY FENDERS. IM TRYING TO FIND A COLLEGE AROUND HERE THAT HAS AUTO BODY CLASSES. NOT THAT I CANT AFFORD A PAINT JOB I AM JUST HAVING SO MUCH FUN DOING THE WORK MYSELF. VERY REWARDING...
Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

paint sticks make excellent tools to gap panels
Old 12-16-2006, 03:34 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Damn, I thought I had it bad when I did mine. Well, I did do it outside laying on sharp rocks.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:07 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I simply lift the end I need to work under with my engine hoist, if I need to get under far enough to stand under it anyway. I wish I had the coin for the trunk and rear panel, I could keep going on it. Its been raining the last two days so no more sandblasting untill its dry, thats annoying. I am coming to the end of the work cycle I have to go by too... Please oh please just one day with no wet stuff falling from the sky... please! And then two warm ones where I can get the stuff primed and undersides painted... ggrrrr... weather.

You just have to do it, read as much as possible and just do it. Go slow and think of the right way it should be done, or how it was done before. I lay the blame firmly at the feet of the editors of HOTROD, CarCraft, StreetRodder, and a few others for my taking on this thing. They said i should try it myself... little did they know I would try it. Class action anyone? Sometimes I wish I had done one of my other cars, but hey this one is good practice for the tough stuff on the more valuable and rare cars.

Still dont have any idea of what I want to build it into other than a cruiser with a modicum of power...

If you attempt a huge project, one thing you cant do is make a list of all the parts you still need to buy when you are only half way through getting the body sorted out. you just might find a better place to spend an additional $3000-$10,000 for the rest of the stuff... I dont think i can ever sell it after everything I gotta put in it, I cant get it out of it now..lol.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:32 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Figured I would see what it looked like if it was on all four again. Pulled the doors off to blast the jambs and inners, found two small rust holes at the lower front endge. So tomorrow I get to weld them up, mount the doors again, and rip the trunk floor out.. Exciting work ripping rusty panels out. I might just use an old hood and fabricate a trunk floor instead of buying one... lol.

Someday it will run again, and you will be here to live vicariously through the intrawebnets as it comes to life once again... dont hold your breath

[IMG]local://upfiles/14646/47A9D311737F447E80061C7A3DB085B3.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: POD update