Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Opinion on painting suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:35 PM
mustang141

Default Opinion on painting suspension parts

Hey guys,

Was wondering what you guys think of painting all my new suspension parts (not the rack though) black? I am having the car painted black black black. I know some of you prefer other colours and I like them too but my body man "extrodinaire" talked me into painting the car black. I know what your thinking ... the body work better be perfect cuz black would be the last colour to paint it if it weren't. I hope I don't get jolted in depression land when its all done and looks rolly puky ... realllllly hope not. Anyway, the guys want to paint the suspension parts black and think I should paint my new white shocks some sort of silvery grey to kinda offset things ... add a bit of detail? Any of you guys have any comments on this sort of thing? Black underneath is okay for me too .... I think? Its a 68 fastback, shelby deck with 67 gt fastback lower side scoop ornaments and 408 stroker with a 4R70W electronic trans. Slowly coming into prospective.
thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 07:38 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Opinion on painting suspension parts

bragger...

na j/k sounds like you have a nice ride...i say yes to painting them black and painting the shocks would be a lil bit over the top for me but mines just a driver
Old 12-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If you paint the whole car, to include the suspension, black.....you won't be able to find it in the dark. Nah, if it was mine, I'd leave all the suspension parts natural color.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:54 PM
mustang141

If the body work don't turn out won't be no braggin going on here [:@]

Don't mean to sound dumb but what's "Natural" colour? I want to paint them so they don't rust ... that's kinda my thinking anyway. Leave the shocks white then you think?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Take a look at the suspension parts right out of the box. They should be black oxidized, zinc plated, natural steel with rust proof. That will give you that black look, they won't rust, and I just think it would look cleaner than painted parts.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:37 PM
mustang141

Thanks Soaring, I kinda like that idea too. Sounds much cleaner than painting them a colour. I've spent a lot of money already on this car and just want it to be very good. Before I started this resto all my friends told me to just go buy someone else's cuz it would be way cheaper. I argued a lot with them and decided to do it myself anyway ... I'd know it was done right ... no cutting corners. Turns out I shoulda listened better ... experience is the teacher. This car is a long way from being finished yet. Just an expensive shell in a garage at the moment. Anyway thanks for your input ... its much appreciated. Oh, leave the KBY shocks as they are then? Is that what most guys do?
Thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 08:48 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Leave the shocks white but paint the original parts a gray or metal color. Did it to mine and it makes it looks clean and finished in the fender wells. If you leave everything black it kind-of looks like everything was left on and painted at the same time as the car (lazy)....
Old 12-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Wow - just today I went over to the shop who is painting my new KYB's blak (enamel with clear coast). They look VERY, VERY good. I wasn't going ot bother with this detail but I hated the white end of the shocks in the engine bay. The mechanics (all long term Mustang guys) have kind of adopted my car. They offer lots of suggestions - most of which are great.

Anyway the clear consenious from the gearheads was to definatley paint them (if I had used Konis thay would have left them red).

They cost for the labor was about a hundred abd fifity bucks (that's painting all 4 shocks) - a bit expensie but well worth it in my opinion for a black-back fastback.

Since I bought my car in a somewhat non-original state I'm making sure all the details are juts the way I like them. Hey, personalizing the car is half the fun!

As for the black suspension part - I would serioulsy consder it if your car is black.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:57 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I say paint everything under it black that isnt already. you cant see much under it anyway. Smeigloss or satin though, because gloss looks way dirty way easy. you will find out soon enough.

All of mine are getting painted black, rear end, springs, control arms, spindles, strut rods... everything. Silver on the shocks would work nice too, but if nothing else mine will be so low you cant see the bottom of the shock, just the top. The entire engine bay will be black semi gloss, the engine Ford blue with a natural aluminum intake, possibly some cast aluminum valve covers. A bit of something else rather than all black.

I am preferential to that look, it looks alot cleaner than a bunch of rusty stuff under there. of course the Cougar is goin red, and the Stang is goin Metallic Orange.. hehe...

All black with little or no chrome would make your car dissapear, and photos would be really tough with it. Anything going to shine on it, or are you going to dechrome it and maybe add some brushed or natural aluminum, like the wheels and or bumpers?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:48 PM
mustang141

Okay, I got some thinking to do here. Seems everyone's got some good ideas that make sense. I bought the chromed rocker guard panels for the car as well as the chrome for around the wheel-wells and drip-edge. I was gona put on chromed mags (17 X 8's) but not sure what style or kind yet. I'm not putting any pony emblems back on the car ... You can tell a Mustang from a mile away. Am putting the chrome FORD letters on the hood and MUSTANG on the trunk lid I think. Thats probably it. The guys are painting a dark blue "408 Streetfighter" logo in smallish style on the front fenders into the black paint. I'm not sure what that will end up looking like?? Maybe tacky?

Quick Reply: Opinion on painting suspension parts