Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Carb Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:56 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Carb Questions

the power valve isn't the only culprit.....does this car cough any?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:52 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Neither idle screw had any effect on the idle.

I don't recall any cork gaskets, but I'm definitely going to check the packaging one more time (since I was lucky enough to hold onto it). Assuming I CAN'T find these pieces, any home remedies you could recommend?

But when I checked the float bowl last night, it was pretty dry so I have a problem somewhere. Which leads me to the power valve:

As far as the power valve goes, I actually replaced that (aka economizer???) since one came with my rebuild kit. I suppose there's the possibility that I didn't tighten it enough. There were no torque specs and I was paranoid about stripping it (reading other peoples stories). Perhaps I errored on the weak side.

I guess I'll pull it off tonight and re-torque the accelerator pump and powervalve. (Please correct me if the powervalve is not the same as the economizer...basically located on the bottom of the carb.)

Lastly, the car doesn't necessarily cough but I wouldn't say its idleling real smooth either. I still have 2 vacuum ports on the carb that are not plugged...but I feel like I've got two separate issues here. Maybe not??

-EDIT-
Forgot to mention that I did not see any fuel leaking from the throttle bores. That's why I originally thought I had a float issue.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:01 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

A good friend with a mid 70's pinto with a 289 in it had problems with a leaking power valve with one of his carbs.

Engine fire=bad
Old 12-19-2006, 08:13 AM
85lebaront2
1st Gear Member

You are correct that economizer valve and power valve are the same, just different names. Did you get the gasket in correctly? Some aftermarket kits use Holley power valves for the Ford carbs, they are almost identical except for the gasket design. If yours has the large gasket, it is real easy to get it cocked and then it won't seal. You can try something, after you check the power valve installation, before reinstalling the cover, set the carburetor on a support, say a paint can, or something similar. Pour some gas in the float bowl, enough to raise the float. Leave it for about 5 mins and see if any leaks out the power valve area. Good luck with it!