Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

4 barrel vs 2 barrel carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Default 4 barrel vs 2 barrel carburetor

I just found out my 2 barrel carburetor needs to be rebuilt or trashed.

The shop suggested a 4 barrrel endenbrach as an alternative.

First, are the 4 barrels really faster or is that just a myth? ARe they more depnedable?

Seond, Does putting in a new carburetor instead of having an orignal lessen the value of the car?

Three, is Endenbrach as decent brand?

How much (with labor) should the switch from 2 to 4 barrel coast?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Pyroburner69
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 4 barrel vs 2 barrel carburetor

im not an expert but this is what i know.
depending on what type of mainfold you have it may need to be replaced if you put a 4b on it. I was thinking of upgrading but i didnt have the $$ to chance out both. with a bigger carb you can put more air into the motor and more air means you can burn more gas. more gas makes a bigger explosion and the pisten is pushed harder/faster. i just had mine replaced but ill have to see what it ran me i had a lot of other things done at the time to.

oh and from what i know Edelbrach is one of the top 2 brands that people normally go with. you can always just replace the old 2b with a another 2b thats what i did mine was to bad to rebuild. never let your car sit for 5+ years with gas in the tank
Old 12-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Not too sure what an endenbrach carburetor is. Maybe you are suggesting an Edelbrock? The four barrel or 4 venturi carb is only better than the 2 barrel or 2v when you stomp it. Whenever the two extra barrels open, you have about twice as much air and fuel mixture going into the cylinders, therefore making more power. You will need to also need to change out the intake manifold to one that the 4V carb will fit on as opposed to the 2V for the two barrel carb you have.
This post actually sounds like a setup, so I will not answer further until we can check out your post history.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:48 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

What do mean "setup"?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Occasionally, we get guys posting on here who just want to stir up trouble with nonsensical posts. This has the earmark of one, but after checking the post history, everything seems OK. Carry on. Before you kick in the secondaries with the 4V, the 4V will give you a better MPG than the 2V.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Soaring:

In tha past, I have found your responses to be extremely helpful. I have learned a lot from you.

But your crack about "nonsenscial posts" was very rude... and bizzare. (How is asking a basic question about carburetion going to "Stir things up"?!!!)

I hope , in the future, you think things through before before you post.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Time......I have a responsibility as the moderator of this forum to make sure folks on here don't post a post that causes argumentative and ascidic responses. Obviously yours doesn't, but it had connotations of doing it. I have already explained how it doesn't. I am just doing my job as the mod of this section. As I said before, carry on.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:02 AM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

yea, saying things like edenbroach does look kind of suspicios, i can see the reason for concern, because nobody likes to get into a big internet argument, lol

but if you go with a 4bbl then you will have to replace the intake which isn all that hard, but will require a new gasket and a new aluminum intake isnt going to be cheap.

your best bet would be to buy an edelbrock intake and carb as a package deal, you would spend less and get better results
Old 12-17-2006, 07:02 AM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dcohen

yea, saying things like edenbroach does look kind of suspicios, i can see the reason for concern, because nobody likes to get into a big internet argument, lol

but if you go with a 4bbl then you will have to replace the intake which isn all that hard, but will require a new gasket and a new aluminum intake isnt going to be cheap.

your best bet would be to buy an edelbrock intake and carb as a package deal, you would spend less and get better results
+1

Though some people prefer Holley carbs, Edelbrock is also a good choice from what I can gather. To further explain the need for a new intake, a four barrel carb will allow your car to push more fuel into the piston chambers. For this to work you will also need to put more air in the piston chambers to burn this fuel, that's where the new higher flow intake comes in. Also mounting a four barrel carb will require an intake that will accept a four barrel carb. Looking in the most recent catalog that I received from Summit Racing, an Eldelbrock Performer manifold will run you about $145. Another popular intake is the Weiand Stealth intake; this will run you about $166. A basic 500CFM (the largest CFM you'll need with the stock cam in a 289) Edelbrock carb with electric choke will run you about $250. Unfortunately, it looks like Summit doesn't offer the intake/4 barrel carb combo packages anymore. I've got a friend at work who said that under normal driving you should expect the same or even better gas mileage as with the 2 barrel carb. He worked in a restoration shop during college, has a modified Fiero [:'(], and helped a friend restomod a 67 Mustang 302. This was independently verified by another poster on another website (I was asking around for recommendations a few months ago). Of course, if you smash the fun pedal alot, your mileage will suffer significantly with a 4 barrel versus a 2 barrel.[sm=gears.gif]

As far as value, unless you have a perfect or at least near perfect restoration, the upgrade in power should add a littel value to the car. If you want, keep the old intake manifold and carb for if and when you sell it just in case a buyer comes along who wants a completely stock Mustang.
JMHO
Old 12-17-2006, 07:22 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

you also asked about the vaule of the car...

IF your car has the orignal Engine with matching numbers....and everything is orginal with no aftermarket features AND you plan on selling it....

AND

If the buyer wants an "Orginal" mustang......Then it could lower the vaule......

However the liklyhood of you changing it to a 4 berral and a different intake affecting it IF it was an Orginal.......It would barly affect the price.....

But if its not the orginal engine OR you dont plan on selling it......then No it wont affect the price......

Quick Reply: 4 barrel vs 2 barrel carburetor